1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC requirements for backing up PS2 games

Discussion in 'PS2' started by saulat_99, Feb 17, 2007.

1. saulat_99

saulat_99 Regular member

I have a version 12 PS2 that I know can play back up games. I modded it with magic key and use swap magic 3.6. I have tried to back up final fantasy 12 and Yakuza using the read/write ISO process for DVD Decrypter. I am using Memorex DVD-R 16x 4.7GB dvds as media. I noticed that during the read process to create the image file on my hard drive the buffer never got over 3%. I burned at 2x for final fantasy and 1x for Yakuza, both failing. My question is whether it is the media, the originals perhaps, or whether my computer is not good enough to create these back ups. Please any help is appreciated. I bought a dvd burner especially for this.

I have a Pentium 4 1.4 GHz with 512 memory.

2. jenko6a

jenko6a Guest

probly not your pc that is the problem. I use a 1.8ghz P4 that usewd to have 256 Ram. What size iso are them games. If they are 4.37 then ur problem is to do with swap magic

3. saulat_99

saulat_99 Regular member

Here is a picture of DVD decrypter reading one of the discs I have burned. It says unable to recover TOC at the bottom and everything else is unknown. Below is FF 12 being read by dvd decrypter and below that is Yakuza being read. Not sure if the pix help. I don't believe that they are 4.37 or above. I deleted them but will redo it to get the exact sizes.

[​IMG]

4. saulat_99

saulat_99 Regular member

3.78 and 4.08 are the sizes of Final Fantasy and Yakuza respectively. I still think it may have something to do with the low buffer when it extracts the sectors from the dvd but, I am not sure.

5. saulat_99

saulat_99 Regular member

An update. I tried other media. A Maxell DVD-R also failed to work.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

a few things.
    1. Memorex are horrible discs, Maxcell may be better if they are made in Japan.
    2. buring at 1X or 2X on a 16X disc is just too slow.
    try 4X or 6X
    3. check the magic keys and make sure they are installed right.
    4. have you tried updating the firmware on your DVD burner.

those picture are too small to read anything that may help figure this out.

7. saulat_99

saulat_99 Regular member

Thanks. Magic keys is intalled correctly and I believe my firmware is current. I am going out to buy Ritek discs or some other better DVD-r today. I will get back about whether it works at 4x on better media.

8. saulat_99

saulat_99 Regular member

Well, either it was the media or the speed of burning. I went from 1x with Maxell and Memorex to Verbatim 8x dvd-r at 4x to burn it successfully. Thanks for all the help.

9. steimy

steimy Active member

Verbatims are a MUCH better choice. Very good quality media and much easier on your PS2 laser.
    Glad you got them working.