1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Shuts down in 3 minutes!!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DaOsT, Feb 19, 2004.

1. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

ok long story cut short a very good friend of Mine bought a pc for their grand kids n no I aint old BOL .....dr chips help Me out alot to sort the first few problems because kids were searching adult sites

after alot of work finally got it going again got avg on it it found a levona worm after re installing windows xp home edition....the pc came up n shutdown after a 60 second countdown that was activated by levona a worm.....I went start run shutdown-a never did it again ran avg again the worm dissappeared .....NOW a couple of days later at odd intervals the pc shuts down after giving a 3 minute warning it has done this several times now ...any ideas

ALSO is there a simple way to check if adult sites have been activated because if they have been at it again I will wipe My hands of it
    ReguardS N ThanxS
    DaOsT

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Oh man!!

You have got yourself deep in it, haven't you....

You will spend more time trying to stabilise that installation than it would take to completely wipe and install from clean.

You will be flogging a dead horse there....

If you are going to support that system, do it on the following terms:

1 - Complete wipe & clean install
    2 - Full security suite
    3 - Train users on basic net security
    4 - Any F**kup due to users ignoring/bypassing good security practice will be CHARGED FOR
    5 - No pay, No play!!!!

Good Luck...

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

We had some pcs doing that at work, they had the Blaster worm. They would shut down after 3 minutes or so and also have an error like "Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Call service terminated" or something similar. I would try the Fix Blaster tool at http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html
    and see if that is the problem.

As far as the adult sites go, I guess you can check the history in your browser. I don't know what you mean by activated but the history should tell you what sites have been visited on which day. If they have erased the history the file index.dat in the History folder still contains the sites visited. That file is not easily erased since it will say it is in use if you try to erase it.

4. premier99

premier99 Member

here's a little program that will scan your computer for any "adult" material and give you a report list about it. it includes internet, movies, pictures and more

http://www.hyperdynesoftware.com/

5. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

dr chips thanxs alot as ever....I re installed windows twice on it got rid of a levona worm now theres another on it I dunno if I am gonna touch it this time ...I get fed up after a while

I will keep what you 3 say in mind

thanxs alot once again
    DaOsT

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

This is possibly the most important thing to remember. A lot of people don't think anything of asking you to fix their computer over and over again without any compensation. The more you do this, the more people will expect you to be their free computer tech. If they don't want to take the time to learn how to avoid problems, you shouldn't have to spend your time fixing what they screw up. Just a pet peeve of mine.

7. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

vurbal dr.chips told Me about that last time n I FULLY agree I don't do it to My pc infact I pride Myself in taking as much precaution and use as much software as I have knowledge of to stop all ppl from accessing My pc but I will bet they can still easily get in if they wish