1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc slow to start and shut down

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by radeonpc, May 4, 2007.

1. radeonpc

radeonpc Regular member

2. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

May be you need to stop some programs which auto-start every time you switch on your pc.You can do so by going in start,run and type msconfig,then you click on the start-up tab and unselect programs you see it's not important for them to automatically start when you turn on your pc everytime.Once you finish,it will ask you to restart your pc which you need to do so.When you need to run any of these program you just need to open it manually when you decide to use.Normally the more programs which auto-start,the more time it will take for windows to load them and make it slower when start.

Vincent.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  3. whompus

whompus Active member

To add to Ty's post. From looking at the pix you posted there seems to be a few indexing services running at startup. That will slow down the system at startup. You may have them starting on purpose because one is indexing for nero scout one is for creative another is for defender. A couple I am not sure what is for. I also see you have MOM.exe running. I would try to find out where it comes from and why, because it has been known to be a key logger.

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  4. radeonpc

radeonpc Regular member

thanks for all your help.i might just format the hard drive and start again.what is the best way to format the hard drive.can i run a program first on windows any help would be great thanks for your time.

5. radeonpc

radeonpc Regular member

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Formatting and starting over, may lead you right back to where you started if you don't know the services that are causing the system to boot slowly.

Help and Detecting services are some of those from the msconfig list that you can safely remove:

Live Update services - aluschedulersvc.exe
    Acronis True Image Scheduler - schedul2.exe
    Creative's Registration notification - notiman.exe
    Google Toolbar Notifier - GoogleToolbarNotifer.exe
    Creative's CD detection - CTDetect.exe and CTDVDDET.exe
    Creative Help programs - CTXFIHLP.exe, CTHELPER.exe

Programs like IM's, QuickTime, Adobe, Office, or RichVideo don't need to be running at startup either.

7. radeonpc

radeonpc Regular member

hi i just reinstalled windows.i have not installed anything.this is my startup

[​IMG]

is this right are is there to much running for a pc with nothing installed thanks for your help.

8. radeonpc

radeonpc Regular member

9. radeonpc

radeonpc Regular member