1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc storage

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lawe1, Jan 16, 2008.

1. lawe1

lawe1 Member

How can I hook my old pc to my primary pc and use it as a storage hard drive?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why not take the hd out of old pc & either install it internally in new pc or in an external usb drive enclosure?

3. ugc

ugc Regular member

if you are just wanting more storage, remove the hard drive from the old one and install it in the new one.

4. ddp

didn't i say that?

5. ugc

ugc Regular member

lol...yes you did. But look at the date of the post. WE posted at the same time.

When I posted, you haven't answered him yet, and after I hit the "Post" button, then your post showed up.

6. ddp

lawe, yes is like setting up a cdrom in response to your pm to me. make certain the drive is seen in the bios & if on same cable as new hd not jumpered the same unless pc is a dell then it is cable select.

7. phill2000

phill2000 Guest

If you wanted to, you could easily convert your old PC into a NAS box (Network Attached Storage).

This involves running a small piece of software on your old PC, which wopuld turn it into a fileserver that your network can utilise. I personally use NasLite2.0, written by a few guys at serverelements.com. It is a really small footprint linux based O/S and supports features like hardware RAID, ftp access, network shares, RSYNC, Samba NFS etc and can be installed on a 32Mb Compact Flash card, and booted from the USB so your hard drives are used purely for storage.

This could let you use your old PC as a mass storage. Mine currently is an old PIII with 4x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA II Hard drives with an Adaptec 2410SA SATA RAID card, configured in RAID 1+0.

This gives me 1TB of mirrored storage which is available on my network, I can also access this externally via FTP so I can always get to my files wherever I am.

Also you can keep adding drives to this setup at a later date to increase the storage.

If this seems a bit overkill or too much like hard work, then do as previously stated, swap the hard drive over to the current machine.