1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc to tv converter audio issue

Discussion in 'Audio' started by rtrg, Sep 28, 2017.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

converter to connect to tv as a larger monitor. issue is that the audio at the converter is a pass through. that means I need to increase the volume on the tv to compensate then lower it again for tv viewing. what I need is an in line rca jacked bosster powered or not that will raise the gain high enough so the tv volume is the same for both devices. I have a small amp I can use but the line level in does not match the desktops line out(low level?). an attenuator might work ether as designed or in reverse or a booster is probably what I need. I used a gain booster from MCM, marked as a line preamp until one channel died. The current prices or too expensive. model names, part numbers, websites please.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm a little late to this question but I find your post a bit confusing. Are you using a TV as your PC monitor, because I've been doing that for years and it works great. If audio is the issue then you can adjust the volume on both the TV and inside your PC's audio device. I chosen to use external speakers because I like big sound but I can also play sound back through my TV set. If you can be more specific it would be a lot easier to assist you.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have a line level preamp coming that will be inserted between the converter audio out and the tv's audio in adjusting gain as needed to the tc so the tv mode volume and converter volume are at the same level. One more chance at controling volume without having to change sound card settings or tv volume. If sound card is too high clipping and/or distorsion appear.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Ever thought of getting an actual 5:1 type receiver only,then just hooking a couple or more speakers up (doesn't have to be anything fancy or expensive).I got my receiver second hand & as for the speakers ,they all i have left from actual cheapo stereo's.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

that is not what I am trying to do. just trying to use the tv speakers for both sources at the same level. the pre amp will do this. the audio is connected to the sound card. not quite load enough hence the pre amp.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

How do you have your PC hooked up to your TV, HDMI cable? If so then you should receiving sound through your TV speakers without a preamp. Like scorNZ, I use an external surround source, but hurricane Irma killed my power for 6.5 days and when I get power back I saw that it also killed my desktop's motherboard. So I grabbed an old laptop with HDMI out, connected it to my TV, used it as a desktop, and played sound through its speakers for several days while I ordered new PC parts, and with the HDMI connection I used the TV's sound system. Have you gone to Control Panel, click the sound icon, and then look to see if it's list among your sound devices? I hate the sound on my TV but I can see why someone might want to use it to save money or space. Here's an image I just took of my sound setup, and note that my TV monitor is listed at the top.

Attached Files:

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

the tv uses an hdmi cable from the set top to #1 port. The converter audio out connects to composite in port. Only one port. The preamp will be in between to simply boost the gain at the composite in port. That way the speaker volume will be uniform at both selectable inputs. A simple solution. I can use the tv composite out to connect to a small line level amp and speakers if I need to. The tv speakers are good enough. No one seems to understand what I am trying to accomplish.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I understand what you're trying to do because after the hurricane I did exactly that for two weeks without the need for a preamp to run in between. If you have an hdmi port on your graphics card, and you have one on your TV, and that's how you have them connected then you should be getting an audio feed from your card through your hdmi port and cable to your TV without the need for a preamp. So connect your hdmi cable to your PC hdmi port and the other to your TV, then power them up and go to control panel, sound, search for your device. If you don't have an hdmi port on your PC graphics card then your next best bet is to do as scorpNZ suggested. I use an external surround solution not because I have to but because TV speakers are such crap.