1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc vs. apple commercial

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wolf123, May 7, 2007.

1. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

I just want too say for the most part this commercial is lame because I my self had no problem with a PC and I heard apple has more compatibility issues then PC so what's the deal really.

I mean I never ger the great BSOD (Blue screen of death) too those that don't know that, on my PC because its win XP.

But it does freeze only because I am trying too do 4 things at once.

I know I should not do this but It only freezes alot when I try too write a data DVD play a DVD from the other drive And then pause and look something up on the internet while downloading from some torrent sight so I say Pc is way better so why don't they portray it better.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, apple is running a smear campaign to try to look better.

windows is a resource hog. it's coded inefficiently and poorly. it's got loopholes out the wazoo, and now has so much DRM built in that it severely limits the rights of the user.

mac is only compatible with about 20% of the software out there, but it's a very stable system that makes some work easier. with the new capabilities of windows, though, the lines of separation are being blurred, as they are pretty much both just as good for media editing, graphics capabilities, etc.

what it comes down to is preference. for mainstream users, people that want to have the option to use the most programs they can or who play lots of games, windows is normally the choice. for stability, or to "be different" or a variety of other reasons, i'm sure, users will go with mac.

in the end, though, unless you have a gaming machine, linux is the way to go. there's multiple programs to do everything in linux, from editing and burning dvds to doing office work to anything else you can do on a computer, and linux does it with unmatched security and stability.

3. ireland

ireland Active member

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i don't think that was quite yet relevent, ireland. :p

5. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

will that OS run windows apps.

Will it run sim city 4 and is it faster.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No, it's Linux. You could cheat and get some Windows emu for Linux though.

Faster = comp specs not OS.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

linux is more efficient, so it will run a bit faster on the same hardware, depending on the task at hand.

distros such as ubuntu and mandriva don't have native windows support, though emulators may be used. there's absolutely no reason to, though, as everything you can do on windows you can do on linux, except gaming. but linux isn't really designed for gaming, anyway.

xandros has native windows emulation and will run some games without a problem, as well as most windows software. it even has a windows-looking gui.

8. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

Will I be able too make DVD faster My current specs

3.2 ghrzt

E-machine

said it had a 80 gig but barly has 70 that pissed me off

then it rune slow but I only have 512 of ram of course you know THats sucks because of graphics.

i9f you ran an wins emulation wontr that slow it up alot.

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you do have an 80 gig hard drive by international standards; however, due to formatting and microsoft's odd way of measuring memory, you only have about 72 usable gigs.

windows emulation *would* slow it done. it would run slower than a properly prepared version of windows on many things by doing windows emulation.

the point of linux isn't to serve as a windows emulator, that's just a bit extra. the point of linux to to be a windows alternative. with programs like Firefox, OpenOffice, Nero, and whatnot all completely functional on linux, there's no reason to stay with windows unless you're a gamer. and even then, most people tend to build a gaming rig and *only* game on it; the rest of the daily work is done on a much smaller, quieter machine which doesn't need windows at all.

10. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

But isn't nero a windows program what other programs run on linux

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

nero makes a version of its program for linux.

no windows program will work with linux. you either have to have linux running some level of emulation to work with a windows program, or you have a program designed to work with different OS that linux is, just how some programs have versions for both mac and pc.

if you run emulation, you can run most windows programs and a few games, just more slowly. if you just get a version of the program for linux, it will typically perform better than its windows counterpart on the same hardware.

12. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

just one thing why can't you run a windows program on Linux whats the difference isn't everything really made up of 1's and 0's in the computer world.

Alright what would it take too make a windows program compatible in the Linux world.

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

a rewrite of the program to work in linux.

14. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

What would you need too do this the language of the program a program too rewrite the program.

I bet you would need too know how too make programs and know the advance stuff about writing programs.

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you would have to rewrite the programs. the operating systems are based on functioning around different file types and different code systems.