1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc will not boot up

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by whiskey99, Oct 28, 2014.

1. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,Well i do not know if i finally broke it but my WINXP OS is now officially broken this what happened.

To start with i was working on transferring what was on the first HDD to the 2ND HDD,but i thought it be a good idea to defrag the WINXP OS so there would be less to transfer it started out at 85GB'S then when it finally said it was finished it was down to 50GB'S but then it also said it was only 47% done does not make sense to me.

Now this where i probably made my mistake i deleted what it said could be deleted bad move on my part so this where i am today.

I shut down PC and rebooted or so i thought now it will not boot up and this is whats coming up ( \windows\system32\c_1252.nls).

I TRIED using the install disk as i believe there is a repair option on it,it asks for a password which i think should be the as the login password will not work.

Safe mode will not even come up also as i thought i might be able to do a system restore and take it back 1 day and save it no such luck.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

two things come to mind here.first,why are you even messing with xp anymore???second,even if you do want xp it sounds like you deleted something you shouldnt and need to do a clean install.man,i thought i hung on to xp too long.well ive been using win7 for over 3 years now.get yourself an oem version of win7 and be done with it,.

3. attar

attar Senior member

Have you tried simply pressing the enter key at the prompt

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If what attar says fails & you had it password protected for login you'll need to clear the password it requires using hirens boot cd,there is another boot disc that can do it as well however its name escapes me.once cleared it will repair & will keep any photo's etc however the repair will wipe any 3rd party software you had installed,so like i said before in other thread either do a fresh install or clone it

Only data like photo's,movies etc can be drag n dropped anything to do with the operating system HAS to be either cloned or imaged,then & only then can you transfer C from one hdd to another

5. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,scorpNZ,I made a disk from hiren's bootcd,but has a lot of programs to use just picking the right one is going to be a problem.
    I believe what i need to do is replace the missing 1252 line and supposedly the hiren's bootcd will let repair the OS without over writing everything thats on the HDD I JUST MADE THE CD tonite so need to get into it more and or find a
    youtube video that will lead me in that direction.
    ALDAN I HAVE two PC'S with WIN7 installed i just want to learn how to fix this problem any fool can just throw HDD in the garbage and be done with it but i am not wired that way.
    What i do not understand from what i have read is that you can lose all of your info that has been put on a HDD will wiped off of HDD IF you do a repair or have misunderstood how a repair works.

6. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,scorpNZ,When i do the password removal then i should be able to go a restore option and restore WINXP without the
    removing of all the data that i have put on the HDD over the years of use.
    Will i just restore the OS itself and nothing else,when did that defrag and delete i remember there were about 5 items that had a .dat to it.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Use the hiren cd to clear the password only.
    Then use your xp disc to do a repair but only if you want to keep data intact & settings,if you don't need any data like photo's,movies etc,then do a format & reinstall

8. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

Thank you.