1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pci controllers (hard drives)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hakayami, Mar 17, 2007.

1. hakayami

hakayami Guest

my motherboard (only a year old. asus p5gd1) supports only 5 hard drives, though i don't know about ide or sata pci controllers. if they can add more hard drives or not after the 5 limits.

so my question is, can i add a pci control to my motherboard and get more hard drives going after the 5 hard drives.

how do you install one? i heard you have to do it before installing the os (windows). can you install pci controller after installing the os (windows)?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You can add a Promise card, but you have more to worry about, if you want to add more hard drives.

You will need an large power supply (PSU) to run that many hard drives.

3. hakayami

hakayami Guest

thats the computer im gonna try to get more hard drives in. i just, just got another power supply. my old one broke down. (i got an ultra v series 600 watts) i think i should be oh kay, right?

whats the difference between a promise controller and the controller im talking about? is it like a raid controller?

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

They are called raid controllers, so it is the same thing that you are talking about.

5. hakayami

hakayami Guest

how can i use a raid card to help my issus?

I kinda know the different raid's levels, but could i have like 8 hard drives set to one Level 0 raid???? but my motherboard only supports 5 hard drives.