1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCLinuxOS - screen resolutions are messed up

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by dragondog, Sep 3, 2007.

1. dragondog

dragondog Regular member

i just installed pclinux os and so far im not too happy every thing looks really big and cant find a way to change it also how do i install programs it keeps comming up with open or install useing---and it gives a list of things.....basicly like (open with in m$ win)....what do i do i cant play games and i cant focus my eyes.

2. deadlove

deadlove Guest

This is an awkward one.. It happens a lot with the suse/mint/pclinux type distros. What has happened is the installer hasn't detected the suppo0rted modes for your graphics hardware properly and is running in 640x480 res.

The easiest way to improve the situation is to have a look for your xorg.conf file ( on debian it's in /etc/X11 )and change some settings in the "screens" section. This will allow you to change the screen resolution from the system/settings menu.

That is from mine, yours is likely to have only 640x480 so add the others. Then look for how to change the screen res in the menus. You can always try just leaving the 1024x768 entries and then restarting, but there is a risk of nothing happening leaving you with a black screen.. read up on xorg/xvesa drivers and config. As always google is your friend with linux problems. Have you visited the pclinux forums?

As for games.. are you trying to play windows games? if yes then you will need to play about with wine or try cedega (not free) or just forget it and use windows.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

PCLinuxOS is very nice, it's worth persevering with it. As to loading programs & updates it's dead easy, you just use 'Synaptic' - http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/QuickStartSynaptic

[​IMG]

Plus it's the first distro i've found to have wireless working 'out of the box' so to speak