1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peculiar ISO Boot issue with 3.40 OE-A

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Homebrew software' started by hyuganet, May 13, 2007.

1. hyuganet

hyuganet Member

I've got my PSP running Dark_Alex's 3.40 OE-A firmware, and it seemed to be working great. I'd enabled noUMD in recovery mode and was playing some games from my memory stick without any fuss. Then, today, I ran into two peculiar bugs:

1) Two games (Megaman Powered Up, Megaman Maverick Hunter X) had their respective splash screens on the memory stick menu running fine, but when I boot the game I get stuck on a black screen. I can hit Home and quit out of the game and back to the PSP menu, but as far as playing the game, no dice.

2) One game (Tales of Phantasia: FVE) also had a working splash screen, but when I booted, I got the dreaded 80020321 cannot be started error. I find this particularly odd because it was by researching this error in the first place that I came across the recovery mode fix that allowed me to play games.

Anyone with some insight on this? Your help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

2. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

disable the NOUMD and put a UMD.

3. hyuganet

hyuganet Member

Interesting. That fixed Megaman Powered Up, but now Tales of Phantasia has the black screen upon boot.

But thanks for the tip for fixing at least one game.

4. gon123

gon123 Member

Can anyone provide an answer for 2???

5. gurnsee

gurnsee Member

same thing happened to my psp too after i upgraded to 3.40. I have monster hunter freedom and MGS:pO and both got the error 80020321 after i disabled the NOUMD thingie. be4 i had it enabled and both games went dark screen after the SCE splash screen.

I thought at first it was due the fact that i play japanese games be4 so i loaded back my japanese game and socom: fireteam bravo. however, they both worked under 3.40(which means all regions are working cause SOCOM is US and my Japanese game is Japan). so what exactly is going on now?

6. Oraseth

Oraseth Regular member

Not sure with those games, but i kept running in to black screen with Ratchet & Clank: Size matters.

Read around and found that in setting "plain modules in UMD/ISO under advanced menu and setting the psp to 266mhz from the recovery menu made it work.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  7. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

I heard u need 266 for Ratchet

Plain Modules should be only install if there is a plugin got the game (not sure) try it though.

Try downgrade because newer firmwares have a bit of errors. Try 3.30 or 3.03

8. drakex

drakex Regular member

I got 3.40 oe and unfortunatly I dont have all games so I dont know but I have been playing Dragonball Z Another Road, the GTA Liberty City and the Megaman Maverick and Megaman Power Up and no problems, even tried a bunch of the ones I have backed up and the ywork just fine.

9. gurnsee

gurnsee Member

is it safe to downgrade it back down to 3.30 without bricking? cause i heard some of dark-alex's FW dun have backward compatibility due to Sony's way preventing homebrew ppl.

oh and i've tried all the above and it still doesnt work =(

10. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

No, all OE's are downgradable. Just install any other OE over the one you have. Or run recovery to get back to 1.5

11. gurnsee

gurnsee Member

sorry how do u run recovery back to 1.5? i only saw the option in the recovery mode to run things in the 1.5 kernel or the 3.4 kernel :S

12. blackvamp

blackvamp Regular member

13. gurnsee

gurnsee Member

long time no post, but i'm back again! i downgrade back to 1.5 and tried monster hunter freedom, still no luck...same error code again. i tried upgrading to 3.03 or 3.30, still no dice....help anyone?

14. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

download another one.

15. gurnsee

gurnsee Member

no dice, i dled 3 versions of that game and still no go

16. SoraSucks

SoraSucks Member

yea i have the same problem with Monster Hunter Freedom. Megaman Powered up works fine. I downgraded to 1.5 through winstaller an used devhook an the game worked fine so i no it cant be the game. So i thought id try 3.30 oe an still nothing. anyone find a way to get this 2 work?

17. KClassic

KClassic Member

ive been having the same problem, but im starting to think maybe the error has to do with the mem stick and not the firmware. i have the 4gb

18. gurnsee

gurnsee Member

ok heres the thing....i think i found it in some forum be4 and it really worked...its not about what FW u use, but u really need a UMD disc inside ur psp into to play those ISO or CSO games now. Just buy a really cheap umd or a demo umd...i bought my field commander game for only 20 bucks and all those games be4 mentioned that doesnt work work now.

19. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

i think most of the ppl here knows about the UMD thing.