1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peer Guardian 2 - PG2 - Up and Running Again!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Rawking, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Rawking

Rawking Member

Sunday, April 8, 2007
    ***Peer Guardian 2 has had some problems as of late, but it appears that Phoenix Labs has fixed them. If your Peer Guardian 2 software is crashing, you should uninstall the software and then reinstall it. Peer Guardian 2 can be downloaded at http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2 Do not use Windows "Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall Peer Guardian 2 (choosing that option will not remove the folder or the blocklists). Instead, simply close Peer Guardian 2, go to the Windows "Program Files" folder (C:\Program Files\Peerguardian2), and delete the "Peer Guardian 2" folder from there.

If Peer Guardian 2 is not updating the blocklists or showing blocklist errors, delete the lists from the list manager, close PG2, start PG2 again and click on the "Check Updates" button.
    Go HEREand read the forum posts about Peer Guardian 2, it is where I got the information to post here in the Afterdawn P2P software forum.

Thanks to the folks at Phoenix Labs for all of their hard work to get the updates up and running again.***

APRIL 1, 2007
    To all of you that are having trouble updating the P2P block list in PG2, I hope this workaround works for you as easily as it did for me.

Open the bit torrent client of your choice, you should be downloading or uploading something so IP traffic will show up in the PG2 IP Info window (the window that shows all of the IPs flying downward) when you launch PG2 .

Launch PG2
    (If you already have PG2 running, don't close it, just proceed reading below.)
    Wait for traffic to start showing up the IP Info window(the window that shows all of the IPs flying downward, sometimes fast, sometimes slowly).
    I didn't have to wait for traffic for long, but you may want to let PG2 run for a few minutes before trying the update. If the below update does not work the first time, you may want to try it a few more times, several minutes apart. But I hope it will work for you the first time, as it worked for me the first time.

Click on PG2's "List Manager" button, Click on the word "Educational", (do not uncheck the "Educational" check box). You will see the "Edit" button become clickable once 'Educational' is highlighted, Click on the "Edit" button. A window pops up called "Edit List". The description should say "Educational". The URL listed should be "http://peerguardian.sourceforge.net/lists/edu.php" (at least that is what my PG2 has listed). Below that, over to the left side, are 2 radio buttons "Block" and "Allow", yours is probably set to "Block" which is the default setting. Click on the "Allow" radio button (Temporarily, you will change it back to Block once the update is finished). Then Click "OK".

Click on "Check Updates" And hopefully you will see the P2P list start to update. My P2P list update took 10 seconds or so.

When you see that the lists are all updated, repeat the steps above to "Block" the "Educational" list again (it should always be blocked except when updating the P2P block list) Blocking and Allowing has nothing to do with the check boxes in the list manager window. If you uncheck one of the block lists, that block list will not be included in the blocking of IPs. Keep the block lists checked, not unchecked. You have to click on the Edit button to get to the Block and Allow radio buttons of each block list (Educational, Government, P2P and Spyware).

That's it, I hope it works for you! Feel free to reply if it does work. And if it works for you, pass the instructions on. Or if it doesn't work for you, maybe we can figure out why, so reply also.

A couple more things, having the bit torrent client running may not be necessary to get the update, but that is what I did so you should probably do it as well, at least this time.

Also, You will have to unblock (Allow) the "Educational" list each time you want to update your P2P block list, so you may wish to bookmark this thread, assuming that it works for you.

Remember to block the Educational list again when you're finished updating!

Good Luck, -Rawking

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

3. Rawking

Rawking Member

The workaround does something, it updated my P2P list in 10 seconds.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  4. Rawking

Rawking Member

Someone please try the workaround I have posted. My PG2 list manager says "No Update Needed" on all of the lists (including the P2P list), so I can't try the workaround again to see if works a second time.
    As soon as I "Allowed" the Education list (temporarily), the P2P list began to update in the 'Check Update' status window.

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

What part of me not using the .edu list at all do you not get ?
    The official PG2 forum's fix works, so again, why bother with a workaround that would only work IF you use those .edu lists ?
    Not to mention this does NOT FIX ANYTHING.
    Using the official fix works, not to mention there is a PG2 beta update to fix the other list problems.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Maybe this would help someone who, for whatever reason, can't get the official fix to work :)

7. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Nope Neph, this fix does nothing whatsoever.
    Tried it out for the sake of trying, didn't do squat.
    Not to mention there are 3 working alternatives to the official fix, AND the other PG2 thread in this forum lists an alternative fix that even i can guarantee will work.
    *not being abrasive without reason here, it just doesn't work*

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Ah, I see.

Is there a good Linux equivalent to PG?

9. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Not really, there are alternatives like moblock and firestarter, but they seem to be highly debated.
    But you can adopt theses blocklists into IP table rules so your "firewall" would be able to use them to block the traffic just as well, so unless you're lazy *like me* you don't really need these apps, just their lists.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  10. danman91

danman91 Member

Thanks soo much for this. i have been wondering why my updates never work. tried your tut. and worked perfectly. Thanks again

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  11. Rawking

Rawking Member

I tried the official fix and it crashed PG2 permanently.
    I had to remove PG2 manually (Add/Remove Programs does not get rid of the Pg2 folder or the blocklists) and reinstall it to get it working again. I read in the Phoenix Labs forums that the official fix crashed other computers as well, although they may have been running Vista.
    I'm not sure if my settings are still the same as when I posted the "workaround" at the top of this thread, but I still had to "allow" the lists in the screen shot below, to get the blocklist updates, also shown below.

I'm no longer sure if the Educational list makes a difference or not, but the P2P blocklist would not update until the lists were "allowed" (explained in the top post of this thread) to get the updates.

Here's a screen shot of my PG2 as of about 15 minutes ago:
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of my list manager. The lists are "Blocked" by default, I have to "Allow" them to get updates:
    [​IMG]

And here are my updated blocklists:
    [​IMG]

Is everyone now getting all of the updates like this, just by using the "Check Updates" button? If not, try my workaround. Or try the other fixes listed on this forum or on the Phoenix Labs forums.
    I updated my lists by following the workaround at the top of this thread. There may be other ways, I'll stick with my way for now, I may go a different direction tomorrow.

Anyone having problems with PG2 should check the Phoenix Labs forums, and read the forum post at:http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/t13766-pg2-will-not-update-anything.html
    I love PG2 and the folks at Phoenix Labs. They should be thanked with money and prestige for all that they do.

12. Rawking

Rawking Member

Phoenix Labs fixed their servers yesterday, so the Peer Guardian P2P blocklist updates should work fine now. Read the updated post at the beginning of this thread for more info, or go HERE to learn more at the Phoenix Labs forum.

13. Vector_V

Vector_V Member

"Nope Neph, this fix does nothing whatsoever.
    Tried it out for the sake of trying, didn't do squat."

Well, let's see - this is October and I was having problems updating. Tried the workaround and, whattya' know? It worked.

I'd call that, at the least, squat.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

What i always do, is startup PG2 in disabled mode, then check for updates, if there's any then most or all of them get downloaded. Then i flick PG2 into enabled mode, then check for updates again. More often than not there's some updates found then too.

I've found this works across 3 machines the same way. ps the only list i have extra to the default lists is a P2P list from the bluetack url. Oh and my PG2's are all the latest beta version that's out there..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  15. Baldie559

Baldie559 Member

What exactly does PG2 do? Will it protect you while downloading againts the industries?

16. mediabob

mediabob Regular member

it blocks massive amounts of IPs. so it will keep you "safe" but not 100%. if u r downloading it is highly recommended that you use it though

17. latino209

latino209 Regular member

Im having problems with the 6c version... i did all the following asked and i still get error contacting URL please help

18. latino209

latino209 Regular member

NVM i got it by deleting the list and downloading them and re adding them.... worked like a charm :)