1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peer guardian will not update P2P selection

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by rihgt682, Feb 9, 2007.

1. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

What the title said. It has been going on more than a month. Is anyone eles having a problem?
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. krkm120

krkm120 Regular member

try going into where you installed peerguardian delete the lists then try and update let me know if that help
  4. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

no, that didn't work. Can you guys tell me if i'm the only person who's having problem updating P2P selection?
  5. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Regular member

The problem doesn't really lie with P.G.2. The problem lies with were it gets its lists. In short the source were P.G.2 gets its lists (incl. the P2P list) got screwed up so now the lists are downloaded from a different site. To fix this get the newest version of P.G.2 and it should fix this. Also with the new version you may have to "Allow HTTP" to get the P2P list. But I had this problem, read a thread over at the BluTack(spelling?)/Blacklist Manager site and the solution they said was to update P.G.2 and it worked!
  6. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

I went and search google for update. I can only get the lastest beta one. Beta has a lot of problems. Where can i get the lastest final one.
  7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Regular member

The beta is the one that fixes the P2P issue. I think mines like beta 6 or 7 or something.
  8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum
  9. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

So i have to get beta to fix my problem? Doesn't beta have more problems.
  10. EdtheDuck

EdtheDuck Member

Hi there.

This is how I believe the problem breaks down.

Peerguardian use the blocklists hosted at bluetack.co.uk. The most used blocklist is the p2p one, and due to people downloading the lists many times a day, bluetack lost their main server (see here for more info). The result is that bluetack now (temporarily hopefully) host all of the lists EXCEPT the p2p list which is now hosted using a system called coral cache (see here for more info.)

What this means is that the p2p list is hosted using university networks. Consequently, what you should see when you try to update peerguardian's p2p list is blocks, blocking universities.

So, in order to update your p2p list you can do either of these things:

- try to update your p2p lists and observe the uni being blocked by peerguardian. Then TEMPORARILY allow that IP address (i.e. for 15 mins). Finally, try updating again and you should be all good.

- update to the new peerguardian beta. This update effectively does the same as above (i.e. it recognises the uni using coral cache and temporarily allows that IP so that you can update).

Personally, I use the first method and I can update ok. But the choice is yours.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  11. mediabob

mediabob Regular member

well i found this to work. stop downloading, then go to pg2, hit disable and then allow it to update and then hit enable. it works for me at least. hope that helps
  12. ozsurfie

ozsurfie Guest

i have been hitting my head against a wall for about a week with this problem stumbled upon this post and it worked first time thanks - i have now joined after dawn and its great - thanks for your help mediabob
  13. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Thanks mediabob!
  14. ProBlazer

ProBlazer Member

thanks for the great explanation of the problem edtheduck!!
  15. mediabob

mediabob Regular member

no problem. it took me a while to figure out that pg2 lets u turn it off
  16. EdtheDuck

EdtheDuck Member

No problem ProBlazer. I was a bit worried when mine wouldn't update, but she's all good now.
  17. krkm120

krkm120 Regular member

no problem man when it woundnt update for me all i had to do is delete the lists because i already had the new peerguardian
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  18. Kopite76

Kopite76 Member

When you want to update the p2p list disable the educational list in the list manager. When you are finished re-enable the educational list and update it.
  19. DannerSwa

DannerSwa Member

Interesting that there is some sort of precedence for this matter, as it seems I'm having a similar problem. I've tried to follow the methods instructed by EdtheDuck in his post, however, it seems that it won't work for me. I have just installed pg2 beta 6b on a freshly installed XP OS. It will update all lists but the p2p.

Now I know what your thinking, you've heard it all before, but here's the thing:

Before I was forced to re-install windows, I was using pg2 for a while, so I had a list built up of Anti-p2p ip's. I also noticed that everytime I went to update my p2p list, some blocked ip's were popping up. And for some reason I think they were Anti-p2p organizations, like Time-Warner or something. Anyways, now that I've installed pg2 beta 6b on my new system there is no more p2p list, and it won't update it at all. Not only that, but no blocked ip's pop up. My other lists update fine, but when I try the method where I disable the educational list and try again it dosen't work.

I don't know what else to do. Can someone please help?
  20. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Regular member

I uploaded the link to the newest version of PeerGuardian 2. I am able to update all the lists with this version. I dont believe I have to "Allow HTTP" or anything but if it doesnt work for you you may want to try that to.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1ZBT2ZOL
  21. DannerSwa

DannerSwa Member

Even though that's the beta 6b version that I already had installed I gave you the benifit of the doubt and gave it a try but will no positive result. Thanks though. And I never block HTTP anyways because I can't browse the web with it enabled and don't know anyway around it.