1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

peerguardian 2 and nod32 conflict

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by gatemaker, Feb 23, 2008.

1. gatemaker

gatemaker Member

I am having yet another problem with pg2. I am using the beta version for vista.
    It has not blocked anything for 3 days. It says its blocking thousands of ip's, however in the history there is nothing, and it lets me go on websites that it used to block like hmv and sony even though i have it set to block http.
    I have tried re-installing, deleting cache and history but same problem.
    It is one isue after another with this program. Does anyone know of an alternative?

2. gatemaker

gatemaker Member

UPDATE:
    Just read this at phoenix labs:

PeerGuardian: now with viruses!
    February 21st, 2008 by phrosty
    At least, according to NOD32.

ESET, the makers of NOD32 Antivirus, were recently added to Bluetack’s level 1 blocklist due to some P2P activity Bluetack detected from an ESET netblock. Despite assuring an ESET representative that the level 1 list was doing its intended job correctly by blocking an organization with a suspected P2P presence, and that you, our users, do indeed choose to run PeerGuardian specifically for this purpose (and that those in our community who trust ESET could very easily set an allow entry for them), Bluetack apparently got a frivolous legal threat from them.

ESET’s solution? To classify PeerGuardian as a virus.

So if you’re a user of NOD32 you will have to make sure it knows PeerGuardian isn’t a threat. Or do what I would do: switch to an antivirus that doesn’t classify legitimate applications as a virus just because it conflicts with its company’s interests. Maybe Avast, or Symantec.

I guess thats my problem (i use nod32)