1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PeerGuardian VS. Protowall how to secure p2p

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by elliott, Jan 15, 2005.

1. elliott

elliott Regular member

I have been using p2p now for about 5 months and now very concerned about my identity and security. I currently use peerguardian but a friend told me about protowall. Whats the difference and does anyone have a favorite client that is more secure currently using Azureus. I would like some suggestions on which is the safest cleint to use as well as ip blocking or masking info.

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

safest ways to download are
    newsgroups and irc

peerguardian was heavier on the cpu usage when I used it rather than protowall
    I prefer protowall its much easier on cpu and memory, downside is its a little harder to install and you also need blocklist manager to get the list of blocked ip's

in My personal opinion protowall is superior

3. elliott

elliott Regular member

thanks for replying but what is irc and how do you download through newsgroups never have used them.

4. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

decent newsgroups are invite only or so much a month depends on ones you know or want to get into,

irc is pretty good but a little complicated theres a guide here
    and any questions you have will be answered by the guide on mirc.....just search it on google......
    read into it if you used win 95 you will have a head start

use the likes of packetnews.com to find files that are avaliable

honestly the more reading you do the more enjoyment you will get from irc

let us know how you are getting on

5. pcss

pcss Guest

I dont mean to rain on anyones parade but how can these apps(peerguardian and protowall) keep anyone from seeing my IP especially if I use a router? I use pglite but I honestly don't think it could possibly block my IP from the enemy. Wouldn't they just have to get on the same torrent and view the advanced details to get a list of all IP's downloading that particular torrent? Also how could it block my IP when it is the routers IP which faces the internet?

6. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

I didn't state it blocks your ip

they are ip blockers they block a large list of multinational companies from contacting your pc for a wide array of reasons

7. pcss

pcss Guest

@DaOsT,
    I was not directing my remarks above at you but rather the p2p/file sharing users in general. I used nntp to download files way before the web came into being and I am familiar with using IRC to do the same. Obviously those tools don't have the ease of use and speed of BT or other of the more popular applications. I am still waiting for someone to explain to me how PG and/or protowall type apps offer us any security? Sure there is no doubt that if I run these apps that there are many sites that I cannot access(the ones in the blocklist) but what does that really mean? The enemy is not stupid and they surely know about the blocklist apps, etc. This being the case why would they use an IP on the list to do their work? Also, what about the router deal I mentioned in the post above and the case
    concerning getting on the same torrent? These questions are intended for any expert on these matters.
    Anxiously waiting for a thorough and meaningful technical response.

8. elliott

elliott Regular member

pcss you pose some interesting questions and I wait for the answers, meanwhile daost I will follow those links and check it out but speed of large files is important and that is why I use bittorrent, pcss what i do know about these programs is they prevent to some extent the probing of those in power from snooping about your pc and yes they have the means to change the scope of those probes and ip adddresses so for now the only torrents I will dwnld will be legal. THE WEB USED TO BE SO MUCH FUN.........

9. raddish

raddish Member

The way I understand it . . .
    A company (such as BayTSP) who searches out illegal filesharing for movie studios or other companies has to access the internet somehow. As you know - everyone who accesses the internet has a unique IP address. All companies have access to a limited amount of Ip addresses (that is - it would be far too expensive to maintain a huge range of IP addresses) so over a period of time it becomes known what IP addresses such companies use.
    Peerguardian and Protowall work by blocking any person with an IP address that is in their blocklist from having access to your computer. Peerguardian (and maybe protowall) have an option to not block http so therefore it shouldn't effect your access to any websites etc.
    Of course you can block IP addresses with your router instead but it woudl be a difficult and cumbersome task because there are just far too many to add to your router and it would take forever. Peerguardian automates all this for you so it doesn't take so long. The other advantage is that you can turn Peerguardian off vey easily. Unblocking via your router woudl again be very cumbersome.
    So - to state it simply - if an IP address is in your blocklist - anyone using that IP cannot gain access to your computer or any file that you may be sharing via p2p. Anyone who is not in your blocklist can still gain access as normal.
    A word of warning though - the blocklist is not an exact science and from time to time companies refresh to a new batch of IP addresses -so until someone adds these addresses to their blocklist you will become vulnerable.
    I would recommend updating your blocklist at leat 2 - 3 times a week.

10. darkmetal

darkmetal Member

I just recenly download PeerGuardian and wondering can it really block the RIAA and MPAA? are you safter using it?
    And you have to exculd your ip so it wont block everything i use Protowall before never knew how to run it ?? anyhelp here

11. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

How does peerguardian work? ive DL'd and installed it, but do you have to open it & leave it running whenever your your pc is switched on or just when your running programs like limewire, azureus etc? it seems to use a lot of memory when its left running for a while.. ive only got 256 ram, so this isnt good..

12. BigPantz

BigPantz Regular member

and if it gives you a IP blocked notification, does it mean 'They' are onto you?

13. numbertwo

numbertwo Member

Has anybody here tried Proxy services like Anonymizer, Secure tunnel or Steganos Internet Anonym Pro. These programs bouce your Connection off of a Proxy Service so the enemy only sees the proxy address and not yours. I found this method gets around geo location that stop's content from going outside of specific arias.

Any Idea's

14. judono

judono Member

you need to force your p2p program to use the proxy server. Just setting up your browser or internet connection to use one will not keep you safe. To my knowlege there is not one that gives that option or actually works.

15. elliott

elliott Regular member

that sounds promising, got a link?

16. hobojsean

hobojsean Member

I too was concerned about security(aren't we all)
    I downloaded "peerguardian" and it did use lots of memory...
    I also found out that the lates Azureus was using the same web site to update the Ip block list.. http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/spconfig.txt
    And so, I got rid of peerguardian since it was redondent .
    I also took a look at ARES...
    Went to their web page and installed the Exe, only to find it was full of malware.spyware. and the likes.... :)
    I'll stick with azureus for now...
    Hobo

17. hobojsean

hobojsean Member

I also forgot to point out that " Protowall" did not install on my XP system....
    Hobo

18. wolfport

wolfport Member

ok, lets just summarize this whole thing

Will Peerguardian or Protowall fully protect you from the RIAA/MPAA ? NO, But, it lessens your percentage of gettin caught

Is using proxy servers with p2p clients help protect your ip?
    YES, But, under one condition, this proxy server may be activated by an educational purpose and they may report your IP to the authorities. So, NOT ALL PROXY SERVERS ARE SAFE.

Is using IRC to download safe?
    Yes. The RIAA/MPAA can not track who is downloading what simply because you are receiving a file from a bot made by a group of p2p supporters. But also, downloading from IRC is a very painful process, and sometimes VERY slow.

In conclusion: You can never be 100% anonymous. You might be 99.9% anonymous and below. So, everytime you download illegal files, you take a risk of getting caught.

19. elliott

elliott Regular member

I have found very few files now on the web using torrent reactor so I am practicing the safest of methods no downloading at all and have uninstalled all my p2p apps. THE INTERNET USED TO BE SO MUCH FUN

20. tb7025

tb7025 Member

Question, is the RIAA still only going after persons who share files or are they going after downloaders as well?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005