1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pentium 2 computer with dvdshrink 3.2

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pentium2, Sep 3, 2004.

1. pentium2

pentium2 Member

Just a comment for those who want to back up their movies without any costly upgrading of their oooold computers.

Don't throw yours out, it can certainly be done with such an old system such as mine. I have backed up over 30 movies of all types using dvdshrink 3.17 and 3.2 completely error free. No install problems. No error messages. Not one coaster yet. Not one crash yet. Perhaps speed can affect backup reliability?

I just put the dvd in the tray the overnight and I have a fully working backup in the morning.

Just think, a computer I absolutely hated for its problems and slow speed is finally paying for itself.

My computer is a : pentium 2 - 233 mhz with 192 mb ram, a cheap no name motherboard, a no name 7.8 gig hard drive (only 4.8 gigs partitioned for dvdshrink),(i don't even know if dma is enabled, box keeps unchecking), an lg 4801b burner, and win 98. Also I use no name 4x dvd-r. I have had Zero problems with my computer, dvdshrink, burning, or dvd playback.

I am not bragging, how could I, it takes 4-8hrs to deep analyse and encode (with aec sharp) with 45 min to burn a typical 2 hr movie.

I simply want people to know that backing up a dvd can actually be done on a 10 year old computer effortlessly. I was hesitant at first because I thought the hardware requirements were much higher but I tried it anyway. It feels like the story of the tortoise and the hare.

Thanks for letting me share my experiences.

2. michigan

michigan Guest

You win the prize. I use a P2 600mhz for a second system to play with and I thought it was old and slow.