1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who say do not put labels on your DVDs are correct

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dan44721, Feb 13, 2008.

1. dan44721

dan44721 Member

People who say do not put labels on your DVDs are correct. After about 8 months to a year they stop working. Maybe not all of them but a lot of them. But the proof is when you remove the label they start working again. They are hard to remove and take some time to peal them off and clean up with WD-40 but you can get them off.

2. vexture

vexture Member

Ya dude you are correct. You should use either a sharpi or on disc lable system. ie lightscribe or ink jet printing. Stick lables are bad.... good call

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here's a scan of one of my Brother's backups,and he loves to use sticker labels. If you have a weak stomach,do not look:

[​IMG]

But you can't tell him anything.

4. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Holy cow Saugmon...i shouldn't have looked!

There's nothing wrong with using a Sharpie and calling it a day. No long standing problems and you don't end up with a Dvd like Saugmon just showed off.

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

watter will take the labels off! don't ever use wd40!

6. Suba

Suba Regular member

I would rise a question regarding saugmon scan. Did he scan DVD before label was applied?
    RITEK is not the best DVD around to begin with.
    On top, why to scan at 4x when player play at 1x, unless you use it for data.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

7thsinger: The bad part,there was 1 disc that my bro gave me that didn't have a sticker label. It still scored 0,but only a hair less than 94,000 PO errors.Playable in a dvd player with a few glitches. Unrippable for a pc dvd-rw drive,but not a stand alone recorder!!

The sticker label backup had almost 691,000 PO errors, LOL. They were probably burned at 16x too,knowing how my bro is. He won't listen to me.

I've never seen a single PO error on any of the scans from my benqs and plextor backups.

This is a prime example to stay away from Memorex -16x media,AKA Ritek-F1. I'm glad the +16x memorex are looking very good.

8. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Saugmon: And he watches these? Jeez. How does he have any backups that work? Crappy media, probably burned too fast, and sticker labels? Sounds like everything we till people not to do. Lol.

9. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

I like to use a Casio thermal ribbon labeler on my shiny TY discs. No Probs (except the cost of the thermal ribbons )

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

7thsinger, He told me his friends don't have any problems watching his backups.Stand alone players are more forgiving. I know he's got a pioneer and an NEC dvd-rw drive. I didn't know he used an LG drive until that nero scan stated the drive on the top of the picture.

The quality of the picture of his stickers didn't look that great anyways.Most of them were off center,so he didn't use a sticker placement tool.

11. geburuh

geburuh Regular member

I've been using Memorex label system for 4 years . I have never
    had a label come off & the movies still play fine.
    The trick is: you have to use applicator.
    You have to keep your fingers off application area.
    You have to run your fingers around whole disk to make sure there
    are no air bubbles or small objects between disk & paper.
    Whatever floats your boat...............

12. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

Yea,me to looks alot better than my hand writing.

13. varnull

varnull Guest

Water doesn't shift a lot of the solvent based glues these labels use..

Experiment with various solvents, but avoid trichoethylene.. that just melts the disks ;)

I have found wd40 to be useful to get stubborn chemical glues off various plastics when other solvents (ethanol/methanol/petrol) have failed and haven't noticed any long term effects on the disks themselves. Then again.. I only ever need to get a label off a disk to make a copy, so it doesn't matter if that disk dies in the future anyway...

14. Davis777

Davis777 Member

Guys (and gals) please, please, please be careful what chemicals you put on discs! Any number of sticker adhesives, markers, solvents and even WD-40 can damage the micro thin protective layer on discs and ruin the data within. Some chemicals take time to destroy your discs so just because a disc works today doesn't mean it will work tomorrow or 6 months from now.
    I prefer to use a disc printer preferably the Dymo DiscPainter because it uses printable discs. Printable discs offer better protection against data corruption and the DiscPainter ink will not migrate into the data storage areas of your discs. Best of all, the DiscPainter does a fine job of putting color photo and text labels on discs.
    Chemicals and flexing are deadly to discs!

15. boosbaby

boosbaby Member

wow, kinda funny, i just had to peel off the sticker label of my wedding crashers no more than 5 min ago, b/c it would not load in my portable dvd player. i just ran it under hot water, the glue is still in the indentations of the disc, but the rest came off pretty easy for the most part. im watching it now and its working perfect! damn sticker labels!!!! im finally looking into a printer that prints onto dvd but dont really know much about it, been using sharpie for past 5 years!
    do you have to buy special discs to print on or can i still use my sonys?

16. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Staple's has the Epson RX595 on sale this week for under $90 after rebate. It does print on cd/dvds. The ink for the newer epsons are pricier than my Epson R-200 and R-300.

Printing on discs is a safer alternative to paper sticker labels.You need inkjet printable media.You also gotta watch out for the crappy inkjet printable media.There's many different types of inkjet printable media:

White matte/White glossy/Silver-Shiny/ Full hub/Reg hub,Waterproof.This is inkjet printable and not thermal printable. Lots of people gets confused between the inkjet and thermal printables.

There's a nice selection of inkjet printable media out there now. My preference- Taiyo Yuden Watershields and Full hub shiny Taiyo Yuden. High quality covers between the two and superior to the rest.

The ink won't adhere to the disc for regular and thermal media.It'll print,but wipes off very easy.

Others have had good luck with the polyester labels. Some of those labels cost more inkjet printable media.

I was looking at a Casio disc printer at staple's. Not sure if it has to have special media.Mostly text printing onto discs.