1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perfect Burns that only last a few viewings

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by BetaZeta, May 29, 2004.

1. BetaZeta

BetaZeta Guest

Hello all. I use the orignal DVD X Copy ver 1.5.2 to back up my purchased DVD collection. I use E Works dvd-r's on a Lg Super-multy 4x. I seem to have no problems during the burn process and keep a full buffer scale with no variations. The back up movie will then play on my comp DVD drive and my home DVD player unit flawlessly. My problem being is that after a few perfect viewings (2-4), my dvd players will suddenly have trouble reading various segments of the recording. Once a scanning lag up occures in a chapter. It will then always lag up at that exact point from there on. Is it possible that newer movies I back up have some sort of sercurity encription that damages my DVD players? Seems strange that I get a few flawless viewings before the DVD player has trouble reading the copy. Any imput concerning this matter would be highly appreciated.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this tread!

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

It really sounds like a classic symptom of poor quality media to me. I would push the boat out and try some decent DVD-r (Ritek "Branded", Ridata or Verbatim)

3. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Use good media and no labels. You didn't say anthing about labels, but a good way to make a working DVD into a non-working DVD is to stick a label on it.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If you are refering to the LG 4040b make sure you have the latest firmware A303. The RitekG04's will then be a good match. I've had great results with these and I have only used the unbranded ones (although they do say RIDATA on the hub).

5. BetaZeta

BetaZeta Guest

Thanx for taking the time to help me out!!!.......will purchase some Ritek "Branded", Ridata or Verbatim media. Will also check again for a driver update.

6. bloonight

bloonight Guest

I have said a few times on this site about the silver topped DVD meia and I think it's because I live in Canada that no one listens. We have all kinds of independent computer supply stores here in Toronto and they sell a silver topped DVD-R media called SmartMedia and it goes for about 90 cents a disk. It is as good as the Verbatims they sell in Radio Shack and everyone is using them. I can burn to the very limit of the disk's capacity and I never have any problems. I bought and burned a stack of 50 with not one loss and every disk plays beautifully.I am burning on an LG Super Multi and playing on 3 different stand alones. I am putting labels on all of them and everthing is fine. I am using Shrink and a program called CopytoDVD I got on Kazaa. Everyone I know here who is burning uses the silver tops disks and no complaints. Also it is not against the law to burn DVD backups and download music for burns here so the hardware we buy cannot have any proprietary adjustments to them like they do in the States. If you look at the model numbers on the back of burner hardware in the States, the same thing here in Canada is always 1 leter or number different because it has to be sold to factory specs here and the firmware cannot interfere with the burning process. I was told this is the reason why the cheap media works better here than in the States. There are no lead tracks being laid down at the start of a burn with interrupt commands in them. Hope that helps.

7. SW20

SW20 Guest

That sounds like cheap media. I use the Ritek G04's printables and after I print, it still works fine. No problems whatsoever.

8. forkndave

forkndave Member

I have had no problems using printables. They seem to be as good as the non printables of the same brand. I have, however, had problems with stick on labels. I once threw away a bunch of DVDs because I thought they had gone bad. I later found that removing the labels made them work. I have ran K Probe scans on the same DVD with and without a label and the PI and PO numbers are much higher with a label installed. Just my $.02.