1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

performance issue's

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Juhnny, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

Been using shrink 3.2 w/ Nero for the last month with no problems. Shrink was taking around 1 min to analyize and Nero would take about 30 min to burn w/ deep analysis on. All of a sudden it now takes 4 min with shrink and an hour to burn. I have been using TDK 8x the whole time. Again no problems until just now. Any suggestions? What settings could I check?

Thanks...

2. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

I checked my DMA setting, thats fine, did a defrag. Still slow performance. Is there anything else I can try to get back the faster performance?

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hi Juhnny. You might try a different media. Tdk media is not too bad but you might want to try Verbatim, riteck ridata, or maxell. Tdk may vary in quality and a better media may help. you also might recheck your dvd shrink settings,nero settings just after backup. It sounds like your process time is not too bad. Mine takes 40 mins on regular encode and nero burn. With the deep analysis it takes 1 hr 10 mins. Plus I rarely burn over 4x. You might want to list your pc specs: processor,speed,ram,harddrive,empty harddrive space and you burner model and specs. Do you have sp2? Have additional dvd software like roxio,sonic,etc? Are you keeping the size under 4300 mbs? This info will help, later

4. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

The only reason I'm thinking its not the media is becuase I burned over 75 dvd's with the TDK media with no problems. I will however go get some new media to test them. Here is my system specs:
    P4 3.0
    winxp pro
    120 hd (86 free
    512 3200ddr sdram
    sony dru 710a 16x dl
    geforce 5950 ultra 256mb video card
    IDE - 16x dvd rom

size is set to dvd-5 (4464)

I so have win dvd software on my system as well.
    Again up until last night I was running smooth. around a minute to SHRINK and around 25-30 minutes with deep analysis when burning at 8x. Now it's taking me 3x as long. Also it use to only take me 5-7 minutes to make a copy of a back up now that takes me 30 minutes. Think it could be my IDE-dvd rom? I am running a speed test on my dvd drives now. I am not sure what to be looking for so if anyone give me some tips to look out for that would be great.

5. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

You could try uninstalling the IDE channel your optical drives are on, reboot and see if that helps.

7. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

Can you explain that a little more in detail?

8. flip218

umm ... sometimes it says it's in DMA, but it isn't. Re-installing the IDE channel fixes that.

right click "my computer", then properties -> hardware -> device manager -> ide ata/atapi controllers -> right click your secondary ide channel (or what ever channel your drives are on) -> uninstall -> reboot, your O/S will re-install them.

Then re-check to make sure they are still set to DMA, then try a burn. You might as well reinstall Shrink and Decrytper also .... wouldn't hurt

9. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

ok - my primary IDE channel is set to dma if available and shows current transfer mode at ultra dma mode 2.

Now my secondary IDE channel shows transfer mode at dma if available but the current transfer mode is PIO mode. Could this be the problem? If so how can I change from PIO to Ultra DMA? Do I need to uninstall the secondary controller?

10. flip218

Yes, un-install ... reboot and recheck.

11. Juhnny

Juhnny Member

I unistalled and reinstalled the secondary channel. Checked the sets - it now reads "ultra DMA". I just started a burn w/ deep analysis and it's back down to 15 min. It looks like that was the problem. I really appreciate the help Flip218. I'll do one more update here to inform if the burn process went smooth.
    Thanks again,