1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perplexing....

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by goldentee, Sep 30, 2004.

1. goldentee

goldentee Member

Hello forum goers. I'm having a problem with my back-up of Star Wars A New Hope. I used Shrink to decode without a hitch. I then burned with Nero 6.x. The disc plays fine in my pc but wont play on a new Panasonic set top box. The strange thing is that other back-ups of the same media used(Ritek) play fine on this machine. It seems this problem is isolated to this movie. I also tried another rip and burn with no compression (split the dvd) and the same result: plays great on my pc but no go in the panasonic.

Any ideas? Anyone have a similar problem?

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

For some reason the navigation information is not being burned correctly. I assume the original plays normally. A possible solution would be to load the .vobs only into NeroVision Express and "make a DVD". That will make a new set of .ifos and .bups. It would not have the original menu however. You could make your own though.

3. goldentee

goldentee Member

Thanks for the reply. And you are correct; the original does play fine in the player. The media I used was Ritek dvd-r. Like I said I had other discs(of the same media) which worked in this new machine. As a goof I tried another burn last night using a crappy Memorex dvd+r. Viola! It works now. And my player doesn't even list +r as compatible. Very confusing.

Maybe the 2 Ritek dvd-r's I used were bad? Here's another thing: when I burned the successful dvd+r, I used Nero 6.x and selected the profile of dvd video instead of udf/iso(which I used on the 2 failed attempts). Maybe that was the trick? For my next burn I'm going to use a Ritek with dvd-video as the profile and see what happens.

Man this stuff can be confounding.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You definitely want to be in the DVD-Video mode. That was probably your problem all along. If you still have some problems or if anything else screws up, copy and paste a burn log into a reply. (Be sure to remove your Nero registration number though. It's the "1a23xxx" number at the top of the log.)

Ritek are usually trouble free. I'm using branded Ridata 4X -R G-04.
    Frank