1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

personal region question

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by guessswho, Aug 27, 2007.

1. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

Hi, this is pretty much a newb question, so I will apologize ahead of time. I checked on here, and didn't see a direct answer, I assume most people already know this, but I wanted to make sure.

I have a wii modded with the wiikey for backups, and it was updated to 3.0U. I like in north america, it's ntsc-U. I know everyone was saying their drives brick, or can brick if you use the mod chip with a game from a different region (like when you have to do the region update).

My question is since I use the chip for backups of games I already own, and I don't buy imports, am safe to assume that my wii won't brick? Or are other regions sold on the shelves of stores just as much as this is? I know, dumb question, I understand regions with movies, but I just wanted to double check. Thanks

2. jnaks

jnaks Regular member

yes, if you indeed only use games you've bought in your region, then you are safe from the brick as of version 3.0. The way the wiikey is masked makes it nearly impossible for nintendo to program against (aside from banning the setup disc, aparently). it might be possible, but it's doubtful that you'll brick given your current usage.