1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pgen Dvd

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by masternoxx, May 30, 2017.

1. masternoxx

masternoxx Newbie

I dug out my old PS2 and the games and years ago I had made a PGEN dvd which worked. By worked I mean they loaded the game list off the DVD and played from the dvd. Now I have followed every FAQ on the internet about how to do this, because I want to remake the DVD, but no matter what I do, it will not work. When I choose "CDRom" from the PGen menu, no files or anything comes up.

Now I opened the old DVD with ISObuster and there is an iso9660 track and a UDF track. Under the UDF track there is the 'roms' directory, but, under the ISO track it there is a directory that says GENESIS_ (instead of the roms directory). And the GENESIS_ directory is obviously where the PGen program reads from because that is the directory that comes up when I push the button in the PGen menu when "CDRom" is highlighted. And all the games are listed in 8 characters only etc...

I tried making the DVD with ISO9660 only of course it did not work, since I believe it must be a ISO/UDF to work on PS2.

At this point I will probably try and modify the old DVD iso, because I have worked on this for hours. But can anyone tell me what exactly is happening and what I need to do to re-make this DVD, because I am trying to understand what the problem is.

When I first made it long ago I probably used Nero 5.5-6.5 ... now I try and make it with modern nero or modern ImgBurn, it always comes out the same both ISO and UDF have only the roms directory, I am not even sure if that is the problem... It seems like somehow before I tricked PGen into thinking it was on a CD or something because the program is designed to run off CD's and not DVD's

Now I am also having this same problem with SNES-Station, but in that case I obviously burned the CD image to a DVD. Unlike the PGen disk which is 2.5gb and there is no way it was a CD image

thanks

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Old ps2 ? if its a fat its easy to softmod it & run games direct from an internal hard drive

For your main issue use this link
    http://www.theisozone.com/

3. masternoxx

masternoxx Newbie

I am looking into getting one of those, but see the thing is, I just want to understand how to make a dvd readable by pgen, obviously I already did it at one point. I also want to learn how to make multi dvd's like Schmups does... haha I read in a forum post it took him 10 years to learn how to do it right. I have dl'd some Schmups ISO's last night and tried to make mine just like his but for some reason they don't work. The emulators will not read off the dvd.? That "Multi Emulator with 2500+ roms" ISO he made is masterful work. It's that type of thing that I want to make. But I guess he has already done it for me. Still there are alot of obscure or otherwise roms I would like to add for instance I prefer the SMB3 J version, things like that

I have not wasted even 1 dvd tho thanks to pcsx2

but yeah I get that I could buy a fat ps2 and just forget about it, another thing tho is that I have a TON of ps2 games already on dvd in retail cases etc

If I wanted I could just play most any ps2 game on my computer with stellar graphics, but instead I want to play on crt screen with real ps2 and real ps2 feel

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yeah the only place i know of that maybe able to help is isozone,as what your after is over my head lmao

5. masternoxx

masternoxx Newbie

So no one knows how to put PGEN games in a directory on a DVD and have PGen read them from the disc?

Because it has been done before obviously, so there must be some trick to it.

and yes I have already tried all the FAQ's saying how to do it and they do not work

6. masternoxx

masternoxx Newbie

Ah, I see now, the forums are dead