1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phantom VOB files

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Plastin, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Plastin

Plastin Member

Would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this problem I'm having trying to read some vob files.
    I have a double layer disk which is a copy. It has a total of 6.80 gb's. I can only watch 3.27 gigs of the video before it stops playing. When I try to watch from a point further into the disk via the chapters it doesn't leave the menu. When I try to copy the disk with Dvd Shrink it gives the "Invalid DVD navigation structure" error.
    I have checked a few threads regarding this issue and found that Ripit4me and DVD decrypter can remove all the Vob files. It appears that the vob's after the stoppage contain data as they show a size of .99gb BUT, when ripit4me suggests to clean up the vobs and create ifo's and bups, it deletes all the vobs after the stoppage. So I am only left with the content of the disk i can view already.
    If I try to view the vob's with my player, they dont work, only those that are before the stoppage can be viewed via the player.
    Is there anyway to restore this data? I feel that it is still there cos the file size indicates it is.
    Or is my disk stuffed?
    Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
    Thanks

2. edlonwlf

edlonwlf Member

It sounds like the original burn was not properly completed.

Have you ever watched that part of the DVD?

What software did you use?

What DL media?

Have you tried on multiple players?

edlonwlf

3. Plastin

Plastin Member

Hi Edlonwlf,
    Yes, I am of the same mind that the disk didnt copy properly, but i can see the files when I rip them and and they have a file size.
    I havent watched any more than the first 3 and a bit gigs. After that it just stops. I cant view the vobs that i rip ( except for those from the first 3 and a bit gigs). It has an extensive chapter menu and if I click on any part of the menu which is past the point where it stops it doesnt see it as something to play.

The dvd is verbatim dvd+r dl 8.5gb
    I used Ripit4me and Dvd decrypter. Then wanted to use dvd shrink.
    The first two allowed me to grab all the files off the disk. They were there to get, with a high file size. I couldnt get the IFO or Bup's it gave an error each time. But at the end of ripit4me it when it wanted to make new IFO and BUP files it didnt make any for the dodgy files, then it " cleaned up " all the vob files and got rid of those after the point of stopping.
    I have tried on a portable DVD player, and same thing, stops after 3 and a bit gigs.

I would think the dvd is a goner but to see the massive files on dvd decrypter makes me think that they may be retrievable.

Plastin

4. edlonwlf

edlonwlf Member

What I meant by have you seen the files was it you have ever watched the video stream contained within the files you are trying to retrieve?

When you use RipIt4Me those files are getting deleted because FixVTS thinks these files are useless.

Your media it good, so I don't think that is the problem.

Since DVD decryptor has no problem processing the files that you want, I suggest you try to start with it? Then head over to shrink. Since the Disks you have is already a copy, than DVD decryptor should not have a problem with it. Shrink however might give you a problem about the structure, since you are already have it. The reason I say that is you should be able to start with Shrink since the copy has no protected cells. But you mentioned that Shrink gave you invalid structure error. I still think the original burn did not rip correctly on the second layer of the disk.

If you have watched the streaming video embedded in the files you are trying to retain and the above does not work than I have no other ideas. You might have to wait and see what the other who have more knowledge with problems like this have to say.

sorry I can't be any more help,
    edlonwlf

5. Plastin

Plastin Member

Thanks Edlonwlf for your time and thoughts.

I tried using shrink on the dodgy vobs and yes it still came up with invalid navigation structure.
    No i havent been able to view anything after the 3 gigs, whether by just putting the disc in a player or by ripping vobs. So I'm going to have to assume that it was a faulty burn originally.
    Thanks again for your help.

Plastin