1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 615

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by theshark8, Jan 3, 2005.

1. theshark8

theshark8 Member

Forgive me if this has been discussed, I have a Philips DVDR615 and every time I'm watching a movie and it changes chapters, the on screen display comes on and tells me what chapter it is on. Is there a way to turn this off, it is very annyoing.

Thanks in advance.

2. wcdc98

wcdc98 Guest

Please let me know if you find out, I have the same issue.

Thanks David
    wcdc98@yahoo.com

3. wcdc98

wcdc98 Guest

I called Philips 1-888-PHILIPS (1-888-744-5477)they said that they have heard of this issue but there is no fix for it at this time. If they have enough people call in for it then they would probly come up with a fix. They also said that if you decide to keep it that you can call back to check and see if they have a software upgrade. As for me I took mine back and bought a nice Sony. Works Great! Dont depend on Philips email service. They still havent replyed back just call there support. If I was you I would try to take it back to the store or if its under warrenty send it in.

Good Luck!

4. theshark8

theshark8 Member

Took mine back too! Got a Pioneer. The Philips froze up on timer recordings too. Took 5 days for an email reply from Philips and it said to call, by then I had taken it back.

5. DLevin

DLevin Newbie

There's new firmware as of 2/2/05.

No mention of this problem in the readme. Anyone try it yet?

6. Goatrance

Goatrance Guest

Hey DLevin:

I tired using the new firmware, followed their instructions and still couldnt get the recorder to update, so I bitched at them for awhile by phone and email and basically got nowhere. But checking as of 3/19/05 7:30 pm, I see they pulled the firmware and instructions from Philips site, maybe something was wrong with it.

7. JimLely

JimLely Member

This is probably due to the fact that there are two different 615s out there with different interfaces, etc. (I know it sounds crazy but it's true.) Your 615 is probably not the machine that the firmware upgrade is intended for.

8. DLevin

DLevin Newbie

Yes, when selecting the recorder on the Philips site the part after the / is critical:

615/17 - original US model
    615/37 - newer model with YES DVD.

The firmware does seem to be missing from:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvdr615_37/

Note that the earlier models are very specific about how the firmware upgrade must be burned.

Mainly, you have to use ISO Mode 2/XA format. This is not very common. Roxio Media creator 7 no longer supports XA.

But, there may very well have been a problem with that firmware (I was trying get track some info for a friend so haven't had occasion to try it myself).

9. Goatrance

Goatrance Guest

,I have the newer Philips Recorder Model 615/37 and the name of the firmware folder(once you unzip it) is "dvdr615_37_fus_eng." Burned it like their pdf says with Nero Ultra and didnt work at all on various media (made 5 coasters). This is when I bitched at them and dummies at techsupport said that firmware was for the other model, the 615/17, but then why call this firmware after the model 615/37? They are dumb. I asked for the people who wrote the firmware in North Carolina (or whatever the firmware writing building is that the techsupport said) and they refused to give info to get in touch with them.

10. Goatrance

Goatrance Guest

the Philips company is Dutch, right? maybe the American firmware writers visited on meetings there and had too much weed.

11. DLevin

DLevin Newbie

If I remember, there was some confusion between the /17 and /37 when the firmware was first posted. Thought it was straightened out, but perhaps not.

THERE'S NO REASON YOU SHOULD BE BURNING COASTERS. Use CD-RW's - they work fine (hope your not trying to burn the firmware onto DVD's).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  12. awp

awp Member

The 2/2/05 firmware is no longer in the directory for the /37 DVD recorder. There is firmware with the same date in the /69 and /75 directories for the dvdr615. Has anyone tried these and do they work with the /37? I'm getting really annoyed with Philips lack of support and having some trouble with the player freezing up on certain disks. Hoping that a new firmware would help solve the problem, but can't find any.