1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHILIPS 8631 DVD +-R/RW

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by grabber43, Jan 22, 2005.

1. grabber43

grabber43 Member

I recently purchased a Dell 8400 3.2GHz Computer with a Philips DVD burner. I have been having problems burning +R DVDs. Dell swears this burner is capable of +R format, However, the tools info in Nero and the Dell service manual identify that this burner cannot read or write +R format DVDs. Does anyone out there know the specs on this burner.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

3. grabber43

grabber43 Member

How would I do this, through Philips??? or Dell?? or is there a web site you know of,

Appreciate the response,

John

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

5. grabber43

grabber43 Member

Thanks for the info, I updated the flash,I can burn intermitently the +R but still having the problem, Dell is sending a new DVD burner. Another interesting piece of information is that I can burn consistently +R DVDs at the lower speed (2.4x) which is very slow. It fails on the +R (8x) intermittently. Mostly failing vice success.

6. NYBrit

NYBrit Member

I have the same set up from Dell and am experiencing similar problems. Is there a defect in the drive, I wonder? Did Dell tell you anything?

7. grabber43

grabber43 Member

Not really, they are scheduling to have my drive replaced.

8. abbzer0

abbzer0 Member

Any luck with that new drive? My OEM Dell/NEC DVD drive had all kinds of problems. They are sending me a Philips one instead. hope I have better luck than you did.

9. grabber43

grabber43 Member

My Philips drive was replaced 2 days ago with a new Philips drive and everything now works consistently so far (crossing my fingers). The tech told me that there are alot of folks with 8400s that are having the same problems. He says that the philips drives used are junk and that the NEC drives are better. Its interesting that you are having problems with your NEC. Make sure that the tech flashes your new drive with the latest firmware from the dell site.

10. geomag

geomag Member

I recieved a Dell 4700 with the Philips 8631 burner about a week ago. I'm having trouble getting it to burn a DVD. After wasting almost 2 hours with tech support they are sending me a new drive. I shoould have it tonight and hopefully this one will work. I have read many posts of people having the same problem.