1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Disks failing ! Bulkpaq works?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by meowmie, Sep 21, 2004.

1. meowmie

meowmie Member

I am fairly new to this, but was told that DVD + R work better in stand alone DVD players? However from reading around here it seems maybe -R is better?

I have a Philips Writer, had been using Philips +R disks, all of a sudden it wont write to them? Now it wont write to the Packard Bell +R's I brought. However I got a cheap pack of Bulkpaq +R's and it's wored fine every time they just take forever to load, and wont work on the DVD player upstairs

Why has it stopped writing to +R's, should i be using -R's? The writer supports both types

Thanx

2. jase

jase Guest

-R media probably won't work too well on the Philips -- this series of drives is known to prefer the native +R, and be picky with -R discs.

As for the Bulkpaqs, that is curious, because the discs in question are manufactured without licence by Infosmart, reckoned by most to be the lowest of the low!

Might be worth (a) flashing the firmware on the Philips to the latest version, and (b) buying some Ricoh-MID +R media.

3. meowmie

meowmie Member

How do I go about flashing it?
    It's just confusing me that it's refusing to write on Philips disks! I've gotten through about £30 worth of disks trying diferent things to get it to write.
    It gets half way through on Decrypter and then comes up with an error.

It's so frustrating

Thanx for your help

4. jase

jase Guest

www.firmware-flash.com

Should have the file for your writer.

Usually it's just a case of running the executable (making sure the Philips doesn't have a disc in it first) and following the on-screen prompts. I haven't used a Philips drive so I don't know how user-friendly their flashing program is.

5. meowmie

meowmie Member

Thanx, I will go and try it now.
    I have emailed Philips customer care to ask if they have heard of a similar problem before.

I will get back to you on the sucess of the flash!

6. meowmie

meowmie Member

Well I did everything I could think of including re-installing my OS.

Took drive back and swapped it for a nice new Dual Layer Sony... works fine AND burns faster