1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Drive mimics BenQ for ripping XGD3?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by RIARA, Mar 20, 2012.

1. RIARA

RIARA Regular member

Has anyone here seen or used one of these for ripping? The seller claims it mimics a BenQ and rips XGD3.

EBay Listing

Philips DROM6316 PREMOD Kreon XGD3 Benq 0800 v3 16x Internal dvdrom drive
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Eisherz

Eisherz Regular member

Yea, it is possible (but overpriced). You can even use this drive as a replacement for a BenQ, just takes some soldering.
  4. RIARA

RIARA Regular member

yeah, i am just looking for a "clean" looking solution for use with my laptop. seen this and thought i can just throw into an external enclosure and do the same with a lite-on ihas drive for burning and just use as usb since i dont have ant sata ports.
  5. RIARA

RIARA Regular member

6. Eisherz

Eisherz Regular member

As I said, possible (if you're willing to pay the price for the enclosure, that is).
    I've found one that's around 5 US$ cheaper:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DROM6316-97...130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc3699452
    Funny thing is, I could get one of these drives unmodified for 15 Euros (that's around 22-23 USD) unmodified, but I can't find a decent guide to mod it myself.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. RIARA

RIARA Regular member

any idea on why the drive cant be used as is. i mean, why do those mods have to be done to use?
  8. Eisherz

Eisherz Regular member

Because the 0800 firmware replaces the original one and 0800 is an Xbox 360 firmware, meaning the open/close mechanism doesn't work anymore, the firmware expects a signal from the Xbox 360 mainboard. Therefore the tray motor has to be turned around and the polarity has to be changed. Some soldering has to be done, including wiring a new switch in.

Now I found a decent guide on how to do it on Xbox360iso.com and the drive is sold out:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Philips-DVD-...ieger├Ąte_CD_DVD_Laufwerke&hash=item53ebcc8e7e
    Gotta be kidding me. Just asked the seller if he has more of these drives.

I also found a tutorial on how to put an Xbox 360 0800 drive into a HD DVD enclosure:
    http://www.xboxhacker.net/index.php?topic=11943.0
    It's a little too high for me, especially because English is not my mother tongue and I don't get all the tech words, so I won't try this one.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012