1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Dual Layer any good?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by pimplazy1, Jun 22, 2010.

1. pimplazy1

pimplazy1 Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. wabashman

wabashman Active member

why do you people continue to ask about shit media. theres a reason we recommend the expensive ones.

4. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Theres your answer, and dont use memorex either

5. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

VERBATIM is the only way to go .

6. lsd447

lsd447 Member

Verbatim is the best, it's not true that you absolutly have to, but if you use the cheaper medium then it cause your dvd drive to work harder when reading the disc and then you have to get a new drive.

So either spend the extra 50 pence on a more expensive disc and extend the life span of your drive, or buy a replacement now befor they become too rare (I imagine this will be soon as microsoft are not building any more fat 360's) a spare drive will cost about £30 at the moment, then flash it with your old firmware key and spoof it (if its not the same drive) I dont know what drive has the best lifespan but I would think the newer benq or liteon may be better at reading user burnt discs.

I would suggest doing both to be honest burn to verbatim and buy a back up drive just incase.

7. Demon323

Demon323 Regular member

Verbs again are not REQUIRED but in all honesty....if a 20 pack of verbs is 2.50ea and each game is roughly 60 bucks a pop would you rather have to spend twice the money on twice the disks to get twice or thrice the coasters? The argument is getting old and pointless. Just shut the fusk up a buy verbatims so you don't come bitching to us when you get 4 coasters and your "doing everything right"

8. pimplazy1

pimplazy1 Member

You guys aren't really explaining why Verbatim is so good...because it won't fusk up my disc drive? That's the reason the discs are good? I don't really understand what atributes the discs have to score well in to make them good quality. Could someone elaborate?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  9. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

Ive used other dual layer dvd and its a waste of time . If you can get one to work you have to stick it in the damn drive like twenty time before it will read . Then it will freeze in the middle of the game . Verbatim read the first time every time .

10. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Why not search and read the many times this has been discussed before?

11. lsd447

lsd447 Member

It's one of the reasons another is the failure rate of cheaper discs is very high although you will hear some people say they have only had 4 discs turned in to coasters out of a 25 pack (often a lot more) you dont hear of anyone having that with verbatim.

A verbatim costs about a pound which is twice what some of the cheaper ones cost but its 44 pounds cheaper then buying a new game or replacing a disc you bought and then scratched.

If its all you can get in your area then use them or if you think we all work for verbatim and are just trying to get you to buy our product then use cheaper ones and see how it goes you might get lucky.

If I were going to use them I would rip the game to my hard drive so you reduce stress on the laser.

12. Demon323

Demon323 Regular member

Verbatims are identical in every aspect where as every other company has minor or major variations in each disk. If you did the same thing using the same system every day woudn't you work better and longer cause you understand the way it works and not changing up every day making you think harder and do things so different.

13. buds4

buds4 Member

Hi...

New to this but just finished fixing a few rrod's and wanted to burn a few games. I listen and bought 3 to a pack Verbatims DVD-R DL. They didn't work?? I bought a pack of 25 Philips DVD+R DL and so far they've worked in both Benq & Hitachi drives (about 7 games for each drive)...

I used imgburn, speed 2 and the same setting for both kinds of discs.

Don't know why but I've had no luck with the Verbatims... also -R's were suggested and I was having a hard time finding V'S in +R... I'll stick with the Philips.

my burn drive LG GH22
    my .02
    buds4

14. wabashman

wabashman Active member

if you got -r's thats why they didnt work....get +r's and it will

15. lsd447

lsd447 Member

Only dvd+r dl mate never anything else, as has been said the cheap discs will work but they will hurt your dvd drive in the long run. I'm amazed you managed to find dvd-r dl actually but yeah they wont work because they just wont, its only dvd+r dl.