1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Joker_15, Apr 7, 2005.

1. gcdavis

gcdavis Member

Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for. The first thing I did was look for Firmware updates but none are presently available. Now, please excuse my ignorance, but where do I find this update,"gb 30"?

George

2. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hello killa711,

If a firmware upgrade fixed all your problems, that tells me you did not have a bad drive. You have a working (Lucky you) drive.

I had one of those bad drives, and trust me, I tried everthing I know, even installed/tested it in an other PC and it was the drive.

3. killa711

killa711 Member

yeah it corrected most of the problems i know still once in a blue moon i get a corrupted dvd and i think its because of the drive but other then that the firmware fixed most dvd problems and it burns cd's well except when i updated nero to nero 7 what a mistake that was so i went back to nero 6 it burns DL well and all seems well but if i wanted to change my dvd drive which brand would u prefer and what kinda price would i be looking at?

4. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi killa711,

I personally own 2 x NEC drives.

NEC-3450a (Dell OEM) this is the drive Dell sent me to replace the elto crap Philips DVD8631.

I was so happy with it, I bought a NEC-3550a

I almost bought the LG-4167B since I owned an older 4x LG-4040B which I loved.

But keep reading forums and sites like http://www.epinions.com/ etc...

Plextor (A little bit more expensive)
    LG
    Nec
    Pioneer
    BenQ
    Liteon

I have heard good from all those companies.
    Each drives has their PLUS and MINUS issues :)

Again, it's a matter of personal choice (and what's in your wallet) !

Good luck !

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  5. gcdavis

gcdavis Member

Re: 20 June 2006 @2055 Anybody know where to find update gd30 for easy CD creator 8?
    I went to Roxio and they plead ignorance.

George

6. vview

vview Member

7. gcdavis

gcdavis Member

Thanks, I'll let you know.

George

8. gcdavis

gcdavis Member

The download, gd30, is for Phillips DVD8631, Mine is Phillips DVD8701, I downloaded it any way and tried to install it. I got a message " The drive is not allowed to be updated". HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George

9. killa711

killa711 Member

Whoa Whoa George if you dvd burner is not the one the firmware is for then dont install it you can perm damage your drive and you wouldnt want to do that would you? so if your looking for firmware for your drive then i suggest checking the manufactuers site or the site where u purchased ur computer like if u pc is dell then go to dell.com and go to support and get some for ur drive

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  10. DellHead

DellHead Member

At the Dell link given there should be a search option. If your drive is from Dell, entering the drive's make and model and the word "firmware" should give you some results.
    Hope this helps.

11. Marken03

Marken03 Member

After reading this whole thread, you guys about gave me a heart attack.

Long story short, just received a Philips DVD8701 in the mail. Put it my Dell 8400, downloaded a decoder and tried playing a DVD. Picture was great, sound was terrible. Tried a CD and had the same problem with the sound. Works great in my other CD/RW.

Now, I only received the burner, no drivers. Running XP home and am using those drivers. Should I get drivers from Philips? Where?

I also just burned a CD with the Philips using Sonic Digital Media LE which came with my system, and the sound was the same. Sounded great on my CD/RW.

Anyone have a suggestions? Not really worried about burning DVD's, just playing them.

Thanks.

12. barro32

barro32 Member

hey ive got a DVD8631 too and its bust, just got off the phone with dell support and they said my warrenty is finished and that i should buy a new one so i was polite and i said fine.
    but after reading all this i think i'll ring them again and complain that they sold me a dud and demand a new drive. do you think they'll listen or tell me to get lost cus my warrenty is finished?

13. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hello barro32,

To be honest, specially if your warranty is over, do like most of other users.

Take the Philips DVD8631, open the window and throught it as far as you can.

Then spend on average $50.00US and get yourself a brand new DVD burner that will make you smile, and let you sleep at night :)

I had mine changed on the warranty, but still went and bought an other burner !

14. sandik17

sandik17 Member

Are Dell still supplying these parts. I have been told they will replace mine....but with the same one..."IF IT'S IN STOCK." Anyone know if they are still making these...

I'm in Australia if it makes a difference?

15. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi,

Last I have heard, the new batch seems to be working pretty good, even if users a getting the Philips DVD8631.

I know someone that has a working on, and it's been a good burner since day one.

Let's just hope, if you get an other Philips DVD8631 that it will be a good one.

Before the technician puts it in, look on top of the drive, and look for the Manufactured Date:

Mine was late 2004, early 2005 if I recall.

Again, if I recall, drives made after April 2005 seems ok.

Good Luck !

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  16. sandik17

sandik17 Member

Well he came and I have a LG one apparently

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B

BUT...it's still not working. It works in DOS mode...but not in windows. So Dell's solution is to reformat my computer...and lose the lot! Not wanting to do that. Not happy at all.

Any suggestions

17. johmac2

johmac2 Guest

I also have a Dell 8400 with the philips dvd8631 (garbage disposal)
    dvd burner. Thanks for your posts on this. I spent most of the morning with Mircosoft, so stumpped i actually gave PC control to them !! (DONT PANIC) ... They suggested a firmware update.Philips.com
    was ZERO help firmware might as well be underware to them. So I goolged "philips dvd+-rwdvd8631" and found you guys!! ;)
    I got on the Dell Tech web site, expected to get the run around,but the gods were smiling on me!! 5 mins later after chating with a tech named Angela... TADA new NEC drive on the way. They actually were great, no try this that or the other, cut right to the chase.I'll post back about the rest of my endevor! And thanks Afterdawn your advise was VERY helpful !!

18. trini22

trini22 Guest

does anyone know where i could get the BENQ DW 1620 firmwareupdate (the site perhaps) and also where can i get the BENQ 5232X CR-RW fimrware update

19. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  20. Messinge

Messinge Member

Hi all. Can you reccomend a replacement for the DVD8631 that is available retail? The NEC and LG drives only seem available online.