1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR-3576 and Comcast

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by saturnkk, Dec 12, 2008.

1. saturnkk

saturnkk Member

I recently purchased the Philips DVDR-3576 with hopes that I could use it with my Digital Comcast box (as shown on Comcast's website). However, after an evening of failed attempts to set-up and a full day of anguish dealing with Comcast support (ending with them, after 4 hours, telling me that their box is not compatible with VCR or DVDR units) I am hoping someone here may have some insight...

I am currently unable to recorder any program other than the one I am currently watching. This precludes me from watching one show while recording another, or even recording multiple shows on different channels when I am not home. This sucks...

So, I have the RF from the wall connected to the Comcast Box, the RF and RCA Video out from the Comcst box to the DVDR and then the RCA out and RF from the DVDR to the TV RF and RCA Video in (it is an older tube style TV with only RF and RCA jacks.)

Any help or reccomendations would be MUCH appreciated!!!

2. FurryFace

FurryFace Member

The Comcast box does something no other box can do, and that is to decrypt the encrypted digital channels via the CableCARD. Because of this you must use the box's video output to record or watch certain channels.

The Philips recorder also has a digital tuner, but using that tuner you can only record the unencrypted or "clear QAM" channels. If you want to record all channels, you must use the Comcast box and feed the Philips recorder via the line inputs, component video is best YPbPr, then s-video, and RCA composite video last and will look horrible. I don't believe the Philips has any way to communicate with the Comcast box to change channels. Also doesn't make sense to connect the RF out of the Philips to the TV in, except for maybe the cable still carries the analog signal for your older TV.

If you want to schedule and record shows on different channels while you aren't home, or watch one show while recording another, the Philips ain't gonna fit the need. Rent a DVR from Comcast, not sure how much they charge per month. Their DVR's take the CableCARD so you don't use a separate box.

3. saturnkk

saturnkk Member

Thanks.