1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR 75, brightness problems in copying VHS

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ralfdog, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

When I copy from some of my VHS tapes to DVD I've noticed that some tapes don't copy well. These copy too brightly to my DVD, creating hotspots which lose a lot of detail from the original recording. Whenever the scene turns bright, it is also accompanied by a slight buzzing sound in background. I orginally thought it was being caused by my Philips DVDR75, so I purchased a Magnavox, but had the same results. Since this problem is only on some tapes and since it is the same for the Magnavox, I suspect the tapes. Do you think a copier enhancer would solve my problems? Can you filter out video brightness problems with these? If so, can you recommend a brand name that will do the job?

2. atarijohn

atarijohn Member

Ralfdog--That's Macrovision copy-protection that you are seeing. Get one of the Sima devices on the net to remove it and you'll be set.

3. ralfdog

ralfdog Guest

Atarijohn--
    Thanks a lot for the tip. I had no idea that was what was causing it. I've always thought copy-protect would either give you a "no, no message" or put lines in your recording, but sounds like you've seen my symptons before. I'll do a search on the Sima device.

Have you ever heard of any legal concerns about copying stuff only for your own personal use?