1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR70 Postformatting problem

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by donbudge, Mar 6, 2005.

1. donbudge

donbudge Member

My DVDR70 is 18 months old and has been working fine.
    In last two weeks have had problem with recording on NEW DISKS - Philips +RW and other make.

Problem.
    Record > stop > Init menu > postformatting > DISC ERROR.

Re-insert disk and display says "empty disc"

With some discs (of same make) all is well but 70% of these new disks come up with Disc Error,

I have reset factory settings. Any suggestions?
    DonBudge

2. awed

awed Member

That's funny. My otherwise pretty reliable DVDR70 has just started to do the exact same thing.

Last week, for the first time, started to get a problem wherein a +R disc would record fine, and then expire in the postformatting stage, juts as you describe. Using same disc brand (Ritek Datasafe 4X) as I always have. Still records +RWs fine.

One thing I have noticed is that the problem seems limited to using the "One Touch Record" mode. When I record on +Rs with the timer, no problem at all.

Will do some more experimenting tonight.

Pity, as the machine has worked well. Had it for 18 months, no complaints. Have backed up ~500 video tapes and it gets very heavy use as a player too. It has suffered the notorious "red light of death" during recording maybe a dozen times, which is a pretty low error rate. Can't understand why this problem has only just surfaced....

3. donbudge

donbudge Member

Hmmm! In actual fact my machine has become stable so long as I avoid using the brand "PC line". 50% of discs display disc error during post formatting stage. One thing I have noted is that I began to get these problems after trying to copy a DVD created on a friend's DVD recorded (I think make was ASURE) He made this DVD from a digital video camera. I then tried to copy it using a AKURA DVD player connected to my DVDR 70 via scart cables.

Perhaps, because DVD formats do not neccessarily meet exact standards, I may have been introducing formatting signals from the "home made" DVD I was copying from. These signals may have corrupted the firmware in my recorded which may make some disc malfunction.

I have reset the factory setting since making these copies. I also use my favorite brand "Mr DVD". I have had no problems in the last 3 weeks. The machine may be designed only to record video signals which have not had other formatting type information added!

As a desperate measure,I did download the Philips "updates" from the internet onto a disc, but I have not a scooby how to load the updates onto the machine. The procedure as advertised did not work for me. I have abandoned trying, on the principle that if it's not bust, don't fix it...... Good luck.

4. andogol

andogol Member

After nearly two years I suddendly have the same problem:
    Record > stop > Init menu > postformatting > DISC ERROR.

Re-insert disk and display says "empty disc".

This happens with all empty +RW discs I tried.

I reset the factory settings and that didn't help. Should it helpfull to install the last firmware. My last upgrade was 1 year while my DVDR70 was in for repair.

5. donbudge

donbudge Member

Andogol
    Last weekend I tried one of my "dodgy" PC Line DVD +RW to record a movie. After several minutes, the Machine displayed "Disc Error" but it appeared to be still recording. I allowed it to continue and it sucessfully recorded the whole movie. However, this disc had already been formatted. If I try to record something on one of the 50% "dodgy", "PC Line" Brand, Discs, I get what you describe - "formatting error" and then "Disc Empty"

I continue to have success with my Mr DVD brand of +RW discs. AS I mentioned, I am no familiar with the uploading technique for updates, downloaded from the web. The DVDR 70 did not respond to a disc placed in its drive with the updated file on it. So I am not sure how to access the firmware. If you you are aware of the uploading technique I would be interested to know.

I performed a factory reset three times (holding the standby switch on power up) before my machine went stable. I would have thought that this may "reset" the update done at repair....not sure.

Good luck and if you do a successfull update, please let me know how you did it.
    Donald Budge