1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHILIPS dvdr985

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rtrg, Feb 17, 2009.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

This post is a reply to GRAMPYA, or anyone else who can help me. I was given a dvdr985. It apparently is very easy to use, more like a vcr then most. A couple of issues though. The unit has a RF in and out connectors. It does NOT have a 3/4 channel switch as a vcr does. Therefore a modulator MUST be used to connect to the tv. This is NOT mentioned in the manual. NO RF out connection is shown in any of the connection diagrams. In operation mode, the unit is to recognize a DVD PLUS disc both R and RW. When a new +R disc is inserted, the unit is to ready the disc for recording, display "EMPTY DISC, and then display the selected channel. At that point the record button is pushed and the REC indicators light in red until stopped. +RW discs work the same way. The issue is that the R disc is NOT recognized. Error mess "UNKNOWN DISC> UNKNOWN DATA> PLEASE REMOVE". The RW disc functions perfectly. Is this a malfunction? Or is there some sort of setting I need to make that is not mentioned in the manual? I am using a PHILIPS universal that seems to function. I ordered the original remote, just in case there is a setting only THAT remote can do. Secondly the manual says that a music cd can not be recorded to a dvd. I am planning to DUB dvds and cds to this unit using a DVD/CD player.Both discs play using the player into the recorder and play through a pair of ampliphied speakers. If I attempt to dub a cd with all 3 connections to the recorder will I record anything or nothing as the manual indicates? If I use the Y/P/R connections for the player as opposed to the composite, is that a better connection? It will also free up a composite video input. What would happen if I use a MINUS disc, or use a partialy recorded PLUS disc which I would not know if it were FINALIZED? Opinions please.

2. grampyga

grampyga Regular member

Your RF-Out is "through out" to connect to your TV, so you can watch TV when this unit is off. (You don't need a RF splitter to connect both TV and this unit.

I do not think that the special setting with the original remote is necessary to record on DVD+R. Your disc may be damaged or already recorded something. Try with a new quality disc.

I do not know what you mean by all 3 connections . It may or may not record just sound. (It may not record without the video signal.) I really do not see your purpose doing it… If you want to DUB, do it on the PC.

Y/Pb/Pr connection is the component Video. If your monitor/TV is capable, it is better quality. Though you said, you need to use the video out with the modulator…

It should be able to playback DVD-R. It can't record on it, like you mentioned. If a +R disc is partialy recorded by your unit and there is space left, it should be able to record.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

grampyga--- Thank you for the insight. I will try to record audio onto the unit using the same a/v connections that work with video. A CP disc will pass trough to the unit but will not record. I neede to add a STABILIZER to defeat the MACROVISION scheme. Eraceing a RW disc is easy, in whole or in part. I am using SONY PLUS R discs which are NOT recognizes, which is just as well since I prefer RW anyway, similar in logic to vcrs. I also needed to use a MODULATOR for the tv. RF in ONLY. The MODULATOR is NOT built in as you mentioned and is also not mentioned in the manual. I ordered the dedicated remote for the sake of speed selectio, input selection, ect. The remote I have is lacking some of the more important functions. So far this is as easy to use as a vcr, which is what I wanted. The manual is easy to read with minimal jargon. Someone finely did it right!