1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVP 5982 HELP!

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by spinminn, May 9, 2007.

1. spinminn

spinminn Guest

I connected my Philips 5982 using Composite cables. I noticed that there are horizontal bars that move slowly across the screen. Its not terrible when the picture is bright because it can barely be seen, but on a darker picture its horrible. I thought it was a problem with the cable and replaced it but still have the same problem. I dont have this issue with my other DVD player and was hoping for some advice. Has anyone seen this before and is it fixable. I have an older TV so dont have an option of using either component or HDMI hookups.

2. JVC

JVC Active member

No s-video either, huh?
    Are you going through an RF Modulator, or are the inputs on the tv?

Does it still work?

3. spinminn

spinminn Guest

No RF Modulator, the Video is connected directly to the TV and the audio to my Stereo. This DVD player unfortunately does not have a S Video hookup.
    As for my other DVD player it still works but I bought this one because its easy to make region free and I can play DIVX on it! So Im kind of at a loss what to do now.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

Did you replace the yellow cable with another thin yellow cable? Maybe try a higher grade cable.

The only time I've seen something similar to this, was when my friend went through his vcr (tv didn't have inputs at all), and the vcr's macrovision protection caused it.

You said audio is going to stereo. It's not an A/V receiver? (sorry..... some folks still call an A/V receiver, a stereo)

I don't know what else to say. Don't mean to step on toes, but Philips isn't known for being a very good dvd player. Check around the site some, and you'll see the Philips name showing up a lot, for players that have issues. Sorry.
    Good luck!

You might want to consider finding a $30 player, that plays divx. :eek:)

5. spinminn

spinminn Guest

Ill try a better cable-but you would think if it was a cable issue-my older DVD would have similar problems. The DVD player is sitting on my VCR could that cause a problem? They are not connected in anyway tho! I dont have any issues with going to another brand but I really need to be able to make it region free (easily since Im no expert at it) Any suggestions?

6. JVC

JVC Active member

I've never had a need for region free, so I've never checked into it. Maybe someone else will chime in with suggestions.
    Good luck!

7. M4DHATT3R

M4DHATT3R Member

I have personally had great success with the Philips line of DVD players. My primary player was (which I still own and use on a secondary TV) the DVP642. Absolutely great player. But onto your question. I own the DVP5982 as well and even though I'm running my video through the HDMI here are some suggestions to try to help your problem.

Do you have progressive scan turned on in the settings? If you do are you sure your TV supports progressive scan? If not this might be the problem. If you don't have it turned on and your TV does support it try turning it on. If your TV has a HDMI input try running an HDMI cable and seeing if you have the same issue. If all else fails just return it for another one if you got it from BB or CC. This is really a great player: 1080p up-convert, DiVx support, USB port. This player made a huge difference on my Samsung HLS5687.

Good Luck!

8. spinminn

spinminn Guest

Its driving me crazy! I tried your suggestions. The progressive scan was off and no my TV does not have progressive scan. I also had exchanged it for a new one and Im still having the same problem. I think that the DVD player just does not work with my TV. Its a 10 year old Magnavox-so maybe thats the problem. I cant think of anything else. Its too bad because it was really easy to make region free and it plays my DIVX great.

9. M4DHATT3R

M4DHATT3R Member

Sorry to hear that man.

10. dan19955

dan19955 Member

spinminn you said you needed it to be region free well i'm no expert either however i was reading the first few pages and of this thread and they give instrutions.

anyways i'm here because i can not select progressive scan in the menue and was wondering if anyone had a solution or is the dvd player recognizing that i've got a progressive compatibable tv?

11. JVC

JVC Active member

I think you need to have the player hooked up using component cables (red, blue, and green color coded), for progressive scan to work. I can't swear to it though.

12. dan19955

dan19955 Member

I've got it hooked up with component cables however I have figured out that as soon as i turn the player on i can select the progressive scan tab and turn progressive scan on or off however once the moved has started i can not select the progressive tab at all. Is this normal?

13. JVC

JVC Active member

Yes. Most setup options aren't available while a movie is playing. You have to stop, not pause, the movie, to make changes in a setup. Setting to progressive scan is a setup option.

14. dan19955

dan19955 Member

Thank you JVC