1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips dvp 642 wont play xvid(some of them anyways)

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by wasert, Jan 5, 2005.

1. wasert

wasert Member

Hey! I'm new and I notice how people are getting help with their problem so I thought i could get help with mine. i purchase a philips dvp 642 and it won't play some of my xvid movies. I know some people have posted aout this but i would like to know why.
    1. i heard that it has something to do with q-pel. what is it?
    2. how do i recognize which xvid will play on my dvd player from the ones that won't?
    3. is there anyway to convert those xvid to divx?

Big thanks in advance for yous guyz if u help me

2. Mr.Satan

Mr.Satan Member

Hey ya I've Been looking to convert my Xvid movies into Divx after purchasing the Philipls dvp642 cuz it won't play those darn Xvid's for some reason. Some Xvid video's will play but others just seem like it's skipping or don't play at all. I bought the player a week ago and have been looking at forum's and various sites ever since, to find some info on the problem. So far I've installed the firmware upgrade to no avail and some say that because of the new release of Xvid the player doesn't recognize it. Many ppl out there say that they can get all of they're files to work. If one of you out there can tell me and other's what we're doing wrong, PLEASE let us know.

P.S. There is a way to convert your Xvid movies to Divx Using Allvideoconverter...only problem is that the outcoming file size is almost double!! so a 2 disk movie (spiderman 2) would need 4 or more cd's after cutting each newly converted file in half. My only hope is that Philips comes out with a new firmware upgrade soon that will fix this problem with the player. Thanx again for any light anyone can shed on this subject.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  3. squebz

squebz Member

this is really doing my head in!
    without getting technical, i am having extreme trouble playing any of my xvid avi files on the philips dvp630/05.
    is there anythink i can do apart from converting the files to divx or mpeg, as the reason i bought the player was primarily so i didn't have to convert anything.
    i have installed the latest firmware from philips, to no avail.
    the following is an examle of what i can not play:

audio
    audio format mpeg layer 3
    average data 16.170 kb/s
    sample rate 48.00 khz
    channels 2

video
    frame width 576 pixels
    frame height 240 pixels
    frame rate 25.00 frames/second
    data rate 112.47 kb/s
    video sample 12 bit
    video compression xvid.

4. Bustamove

Bustamove Member

I recently bought a philps 642/37, I've tried updating the firmware but i cant get a divx file to play on the player. I put in the disc it says its reading but then displays a message 'codec not supported', if anyone has any idea on how i can get the movie to run id love the help. Thanks
    'Heres the file specs'
    width-640 pixels
    height-352 pixles
    bit rate-129 kbps
    audio- mpeg layer 3
    frame rate- 23fps
    data rate- 100kbps
    video sample size-12 bit
    video compression- divx codec

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Could be either qpel or GMC that is the problem. XviD should work just as well as DivX as well as you don't use any unsupported features, ie. stick with the DXN Home Theatre profile.

GSpot, MPEG4Modifier, AVICheck (from Sigma), etc. can tell you if a file uses qpel, GMC, etc. MPEG4Modifier can also tell you what quant matrix was used as I believe ESS based players have trouble with some of them.

6. Garroter

Garroter Member

Bustamove, did you finalize the cd after burning the divx? Most burning programs default to multisession.

7. Misery1

Misery1 Guest

I joined just to answer this question. I own a DVP 642 also and you need to download g-spot it will give all the info you need on the avi files. The player will play xvid BUT not if it has B-VOP QPEL or GMC it will play divx with B-VOP however. I use DrDivx to convert to Divx using hometheater mode it normally only takes a few hours and it's a snap to use.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2005
  8. wasert

wasert Member

thanks celtic_d and misery 1. you saved me from going through a lot of trial and error

9. wasert

wasert Member

quick question. how do you use gspot a dn what i mean is where does it tell my if my avi have gmc or qpel?

10. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Make sure that you have a v2.52.x version.

Don't recall hearing any issues in regards to b frames and the player.

11. Mr.Satan

Mr.Satan Member

Hey All...Just taking the time to respond to my previous thread. I've got mine working pretty well playing all of the movies I have with the exception of a few that probably are in qpel or wutever cause they just skip. Most vid's play well, but some are a little choppy at times and skip when the player has to do alot of processing (fight sceens). All that aside, it's a really great player for only 89 bucks.

Squebz...I think the dvp630 series doesn't support divx or xvid's...I may be wrong. Try a firmware upgrade and see if that works.

Bustamove...Ur case is just wierd...can't seem to figure that one out. Good luck tho.

Alright, Till next time...

12. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The problems with fight scenes, etc. could be due to bitrate spikes. Prior to 1.1 builds XviD didn't do VBV so a complex scene can easily overload some chipsets.

13. squebz

squebz Member

what a busy few days.....and what a waste of time.i used dr divx and virtualdub to encode my xvid files into divx, put them onto cd-r with b's recorder.....and put them into this darn dvp630/05.......and its exactly the same, the screen says loading, a few revolutions of the disc and the player opens, ejecting disc, no message.
    i tried tmpgenc and converting it to xvidmpeg4 and divx.....exactly the same.
    with most of my files being xvid, which dvd player has the highest compatibility with this codec?
    otherwise its back to mpeg encoding, but there's too much quality lost with this.
    thanx.

14. Garroter

Garroter Member

According to Divx.com the DVP630 is an excellent divx player. I've converted a few xvid movies to divx using DrDivx 1.04 and all played well on my DVP642 the only problems Ive had were playing encoded xvid movies using AGK and xvid 1.0, color was screwed.

15. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

With AutoGK did you select the ESS profile or whatever? Because as I understand it AutoGK uses custom quant matricies unless you select ESS. The reason for this is that ESS based players don't handle certain matricies well.

16. Mr.Satan

Mr.Satan Member

Message To All....I found out that if you press the menu button on the remote of the dvp/642 and then press it again...you're screwed up xvid or divx movies will play perfectly!...

Also press and hold the stop button to open the cd tray....Hope I kan help.

17. wasert

wasert Member

OMG it WORKS!
    no more hassle and problems!
    thanx a lot man

18. foot_u

foot_u Member

I recently bought the dvp 642 and it plays all my divx encoded avi files. I was able to watch movies with subtitles on them. My only problem is that the player resized the picture so that the subtitles on the bottom of the screen are cut off halfway. Could anyone tell me if this problem is fixable and if it is how do I do it?

19. Mr.Satan

Mr.Satan Member

Glad I could help...took me 2 weeks to figure that stuff out...

20. mkhan80

mkhan80 Member

OMG it works! You have solved a major problem for mankind. Thanks a lot buddy.