1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp5140 dvd player with Ultra DivX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dcmorrow, May 24, 2006.

1. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

I just picked up the Philips dvp5140 DVD player.

I wanted to share my first impressions.

So far I have played one disc and the video quality is good, on my regular 27" TV. However the remote, although well layed out, seems too small to me and the IR signal seems a bit weak.

Anyone else have similar experience?

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Philips DVP5140 is the first DVD player to support ULTRA DivX and may replace the most popular DVD player DVP642. It plays most formats that includes MPEG, DivX (GMC and Q-pel) AVI, etc.
    $54.88
    NOTICE it says GMC and QPEL...This is about time..sure will save a lot

3. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this thing to replace my 642, but does anyone know how to actually create the Ultra content (with custom menus)? You know, actually stick a "Lost" or "24" background and put a dozen episodes on there as a menu? Also, if this can be done can Xvid files be used instead of DivX? Thanks.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

dcmorrow...If U have the 642 remote it works with Philips DVP5140,the only difference being the pause on 642,U have to use the play..JUST WISH IT HAD A TIME Search or GoTo bttn..But the 32x speed is good.Had the unit for 5 days & counting,so far no problems.Plays very well

5. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

Great I will give it a try. Now I just have to figure out what code I used on my universal remote downstairs on the 642 that worked, and try it upstairs on the 5140

6. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Hey mrchub! I used to do that with SVCDs (Mpegs) before I got into DVD and DIVX... I am not sure if you can make a titles page with a pic and all that... I think we may be stuck with the shi%#y list that our players give us... SVCD were fun that way, you could load an image, select different fonts and colours, I used to have a blast with them... This is a great thing to add to the DIVX player feature wish list (if it is not already out there!) If anyone knows how to do this, please let us know!!

Can anyone comment on the dvp5140's ability to display filenames?? are they still character limited?

7. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

@ruFFritch, yes, it's possible to do, though maybe a pain in the butt. An app called DivXMux GUI is supposed to help. Don't know if I'll get around to bothering to try but divx has been trumpeting custom menus for a year. http://www.propr.de/divxmuxgui/

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ruFFritch..play list is pretty nice in length

9. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

Okay,

I did fix my remote issue.

@Rick5446 Thanks for the tip. I think my problem is player orientation, I tried the correct code on my DirecTV remote and the 5140 didn't respond, however I stud right in front of the player and it worked perfectly. I wish the player was more sensitive to the remote so that I have better response.

10. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

can someone please tell me what a "ULTRA DivX" is????

11. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

As far as I know it's something like DivX 6.5 or such. I don't realy know the details.

12. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Divx Ultra is the level of certification of the player.
    DivX Ultra Certified devices provide consumers distinctly interactive video that uses DivX technology to create a DVD-like experience. This new tier of premium products with advanced capabilities was created in direct response to strong demand from consumers, and gives them the sophisticated features they seek. (Like interactive menus and alternate audio, etc...) Very COOL!!
    Check it out here: http://www.divx.com/company/partner/ultra.php
    You can read about the differences in certification levels here: http://www.divx.com/company/partner/certification.php :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  13. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2006
  14. brando78

brando78 Member

I know there's no DTS with this DVD player, but are there any other drawbacks when comparing to the older Philips 642/37 ?
    I have this older model to play Divx and Region free discs, but I'm thinking of upgrading and giving it to a friend....

Videohelp.com says that the DVP5140 can be made region-free. This is a must for me. Divx subtitles must work also.
    I read somewhere that the .srt subtitles for Divx files display in a grey box, instead of just the plain white.
    Is the font any bigger than the 642? Do they display correctly at the bottom of the screen?

Should I upgrade from the Philips 642? Is the picture quality that much better without an HDTV? I just have a regular TV right now.
    Are there less video/audio synch problems with the Divx files played from CD-Rs?

Also how does this unit compare with the Philips DVP5490 ???
    What's the difference?

I've heard the best player for the money is the OPPO 971H, but I don't really want to spend as much as $200.

thanks for any info you can give....

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  15. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Hmmm... No DTS??? I think any dvd player would pass the dts signal to your processor via the digital outputs (Digital Coax or Fibre optic audio out)please correct me if I am wrong... I don't have this player, so I can't confirm anything else... just watching this thread to learn about the player from the good peeps that bought it! :) Thanks guys (and gals)!

16. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

Even the DVP642 didn't have DTS.

It is passed out as digital bits and your receiver can work with it if it has DTS decode. (This statement is untested)

17. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Your right ruFFritch,

The DVP642 doesn't decode DTS either but it does pass it thru digitaly to the receiver. Simply choose DTS in the DVDs audio select menu.

Ced

18. brando78

brando78 Member

My apologies; I wasn't clear enough. I meant that the DVD player doesn't decode DTS itself. Of course, if your receiver can do it, then there is no problem.

Anyone have anything else to say about this new "Divx Ultra" player?

--Is it worth upgrading to the 5140, if you already have the 642?--

Does it play Divx discs better (esp. with the audio/video unsynching on the 642 sometimes)?
    Does it still make the semi-loud "whirring" noise when spinning the discs that the 642 does?

Thanks for any additional info!

19. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

It does play Divx better with less if not none, audio sync issues. I am still testing this player as I have many discs to try.

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

I'm much happier with the Philips DVP5140 over the 642'.They just need to ad a goto bttn on the unit for AVI,all U have is 32x FF