1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. eesahmuu

eesahmuu Member

bah okaes ..

default NERO does work ..
    Mode 1 (CD-ROM) / ISO Level 1 (8+3) / ISO9600 / Joliet

it must be somethin' to do w/ Toast/Roxio ISO Settings ..
    Toast/Roxio can burn a disc with them same settings but the subs fail to be readable in the dvp642 which is total oddness ..

anyone on a Mac/Roxio get their subs to work on the dvp642 ? ..

2. balsrin

balsrin Member

Ima also having the same problems as vidx has ( see aug 3rd post). Yesterday i tried playing a xvid file and the player starts reading the file and then just stops, doesn't play further.I bought the player less than 14 days ago...so any sugggestions. would a firmware upgrade help!!!

3. pelham

pelham Member

I am very tempted to get this player now, espeically for the price. However the majority of the files I want to watch have subtitles. I see that some people have encountered problems with the subtitles. Is this common for most? thanks

4. vidx

vidx Guest

Yeah, I have that problem, it plays a bit and stops. Most of my avi, divx, xvid files work. but its the odd few that don't and it gives a codec problem message on the tv screen or a QPEL msg. So is the problem with the movie file? or the CD player? if it is the movie problem, how can i change the movie file to enable it to play on the dvd player. Also, I upgraded the player with the firmware but it doesnt do anything with the codec problem. The subtitle problem is another issue, and even though i am able to select the subtitle file, it wouldn't show up.

hope someone can help me and the few others solve this

vidx

5. estebbins

estebbins Member

Hey Vidx-

The firmware update will not help if it's a codec that's not supported by the player. I know from bitter experience working in support that codec problems can be difficult to nail down. The best advice I can give is to first consult the documentation or Phillips support for the player to find out which DivX codecs are supported, and then use Gspot, which Chappimp suggested, to find out which codec the file needs for playback.

If the codec isn't supported by the player, then you will need to reencode before burning it back to a disc. This is a multistep process that is beyond the scope of this thread. I would suggest you consult one of the other related threads below for DivX encoding info/processes.

Hope this helps clear things up

estebbins

6. RichardH

RichardH Member

This DVD player is great. But I have one big problem: the DivX subtitles are too small. Is there a way of increasing the size of the subtitles? My DivX movies have .srt subtitles. The DVD player plays them perfectly, but only if it's plain text (no bold, italics or underline fonts).

7. MrBeaver

MrBeaver Guest

I guess I'm lazy but I didn't feel like reading this whole thread to see if someone answered this question. Someone asked earlier in the thread if this dvd player was supposed to chirp while its spinning, the answer is yes. I've seen 2 and now heard of 3 that do it. Maybe those are bad batches but I think its just something they do. If any one knows different please lemme know, and I'll take these back and bitch.

8. Deeb5003

Deeb5003 Member

An update to previously reported playback difficulties:

Allmost all files (DivX 3 and 5.1.1) on the TestCD (http://www.horgi.mtu.ru/DivXTestCD.zip) play - but they are all at 25fps. I have not been able to play 29.97fps movies. Did anyone manage to play 29.97fps movies on the DVP642-17?

My ATI AIW-9700Pro captures HomeTheater mpeg-4 at 29.97 fps and I don't want to have to do any re-encoding.

9. bishpuppy

bishpuppy Guest

just bought the Philips DVP642 and upgraded the firmware, and i'm still having the same problem.

WHen i put in a divx [ with hardsub, ex: anime ], the subtitles are cutoff from the bottom, therefore i can't read it.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I search the net and i'm not the only one with this problem

10. Quakes

Quakes Member

Hi! My 2+ year old Philips DVD956K is going wanky on me and I've recently been interested in the 642 since it's cheaper than getting the older set fixed.

I need a clarification... does the 642 come with DTS? I'm not a feature-whiz so please feel free to guide me on whether it's even a feature I would want. My current (but broken) DVD956K comes with DTS.

Thanks!

11. wajordaan

wajordaan Member

Slovak:
    The "chirping" is quite normal. The player has a "Zoom" function on the remote, though it's only semi-useful for widescreen movies on a 4:3 TV.

Mentazm:
    I think it's sold as a DVP630 in the UK.

Everyone:

The DVP642 is DivX certified. This has a few implications. When you encode, make sure that you select the "Home Theater" profile. This automatically does the following:

1) Disables QPEL and GMC. These are not required for DivX certification and are not officially supported by the DVP642, though some files with these settings MIGHT play.
    2) The maximum bitrate is set to 3000kbps.
    3) The correct Video Buffer Verifier(VBV) is added.

Also keep the following in mind:

4) The DVP642 does play some XviD files, but since it doesn't adhere strictly to point 2 and 3(as far as I know), you might have problems.
    5) The audio should preferably be encoded in CBR-MP3 <= 256kbps. AC3 is also supported, but be careful.
    6) If you don't get any sound, it's probably because the audio was encoded in Ogg or something-else. Those damn internet downloads ;-)
    7) If the video stutters, the maximum bitrate has been exceeded. See point 2 and 3 again.

Finally, if you encode from a DVD, I recommend using AutoGK, since it does everything automatically for you.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  12. Swagger

Swagger Member

I have exactly the same problem as you Deeb

Quoting Deeb5003:
    My ATI AIW-9700Pro captures HomeTheater mpeg-4 at 29.97 fps and I don't want to have to do any re-encoding

13. Deeb5003

Deeb5003 Member

It looks like ATI MPEG-4 Home Video capturing should implement an inline IVTC (inverse telecine conversion), which drops frames to bring the frame rate back to ~25fps. Then the DivX captured file should play on a stand-alone player. I'll try to run IVTC on one of my ATI captured files. Or maybe someone has already done this?

14. dponce80

dponce80 Member

Ok... I'll try to make things as clear as possible for everyone. I, just today, have boutght this unit. It's my new girlfriend. It's the dvp642/37. I don't know if it's because it's the /37, or what... but this is what it does: EVERYTHING. I made a DVD-R (ok?? "-"R) with two Divx Law and Order episodes, one, Monster Garage Xvid episode, and about 1000 MP3s. The Divx episodes, it plays without a hitch. The Monster Garage... press Menu twice once you start playing it, and it's all good. AND it plays any of my 1000 or so MP3s... can you believe this?? I could fit like 5 or 6 movies on one DVD, and watch any one of them. The quality is SUPERB. I couldn't be happier... and at 100$CDN, it's a steal.

So... whatever the documentation says... I don't care. This is MY experience with it, and I'm getting ready to go to bed with this sexy little unit... lol...

15. Swagger

Swagger Member

Well my joy would be complete if I could figure out how to get my ATI A-I-W 8500DV to create DivX files that the DVP642 would play.

From the ATI config panel for Home Theater preset, these DivX files are MPEG-4, 29.97 fps, 640x480, de-interlace, 44,100khz 16bit stereo sound.

I read on another forum that "720x480 - One Pass - AC3 Untouched - Home Theater Profile - Nandub muxing" works.

I guess I will try to create some custom recording profiles and see if I can get a compatible DivX file to be created. Gotta love standards huh?

16. Swagger

Swagger Member

AVICheck http://fer.peque.org/avicheck.htm has this to say about the ATI A-I-W Home Theater profile captures. Can anyone see anything wrong with this that causes a problem for the DVP642?

Total Streams: 2
    Running Time: 2:14:58
    Index Chunk: Yes
    Interleaved: Yes
    Max Bytes Per Sec: 0
    AUDIO: 0 - MP3 (0x55)
    Average Bitrate Per Sec: 128 kb/s
    Samples Rate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits Per Sample: 0
    SuggestedBufferSize: 426
    Sample Size: 1
    Variable Bitrate: No
    VIDEO: DIVX
    B-VOP: No
    S(GMC)-VOP: No
    QuarterPixel: No
    Frame Size: 640 x 480
    Frames Rate: 29.970
    Color Depth: 24
    Total Frames: 242726
    SuggestedBufferSize: 42740

Elapsed Time 00:00

17. cla_z

cla_z Member

Hi to everyone.. my question is that i see a lot of the firmware for the dvd player. But what is it? If i get it, shoul i install it in my computer so all my avi can be played with subs? or is a device directly for the player? thank for the help!!

18. dponce80

dponce80 Member

Nonom you don't have to do anything, except to download the sub file in the appropriate format. put both your movie and that filein the same folder. make sure they're named exactly the same, and it will play with subtitles. but you have to do the upgrade first.

19. cla_z

cla_z Member

I see.. thanks!! could you just tell me how can i install the upgrade? thanks again...

20. dponce80

dponce80 Member

It's in the Philips website. just go there, find the page for the dvp642, download the PDF, and there's detailed instructions on how to do everything.