1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. imrllybad

imrllybad Member

Thank you for your responses. It is so cool that we have a forum like this. It's nice to know how other people have accomplished things.

Actually, I don't do any ac3 encoding. After ripping the DVD, I use DVD2AVI to create the *.d2v project file and in the Dolby Digital setting, have it set to demux rather than decode. The resultant sound file is *.ac3; I think this is how I get the original ac3 off the DVD. After encoding to DivX with no audio, I then mux the avi & ac3 files together.

It would be great if we can compare our DivX files. How could we do this? My ac3 file size averages 300MB and is probably to big to send over the Internet. I can snail mail you one of my movies if you'd like.

Here's my GSpot info. Sorry, I don't know how to export the data yet but this is what's displayed when I open the video file.
    File:
    Kill Bill Vol. 2 (R)ac3.avi
    Audio:
    0x2000(AC3, Dolby Laboratories, Inc) AC3 48000Hz CBR 448 kb/s total (5 chnls)
    Container:
    Multipart OpenDML AVI, "rec list" style (103471 frames in first part, 93514 frames follow)
    Interleave: 313 ms (7.5 v.frames), preload=512
    Audio Frames: Aligned on interleaves
    There are more info about the video, but I didn't think you'd need to see it.

More importantly though, I'd like to know exactly how you create your divx movie with ac3 that'll work on the dvp642. Thanks.

2. snapok

snapok Guest

guys, will this dvd player play my pal dvds on my ntsc tv? if so how is the quality?

3. estebbins

estebbins Member

Hey Snapok-

I can't vouch for this particular player, (I don't have a PAL DVD to test with at the moment but if you really need to know I could make one) but yes it will play back PAL on an NTSC set.

Damn now you've excited my curiosity. Going to convert a file to PAL and make a dvd...

-E
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Authoring DVD's is easy... When you come to the fork in the road, just make sure and take it.[/small]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  4. snapok

snapok Guest

if its possible please do so. I am very curious. I found this dvd player in my local target but on the box it doesnt say if its multiregional or not. But when you go search for this play on amazon.com it clearly states that it has pal/ntsc conversion. I am confused

5. estebbins

estebbins Member

Hi Snapok,

That DVD is burning right now.

However, to clear up confusion, region code is completely different from video standard (i.e. NTSC/PAL/SECAM)

The player is region free, meaning you should be able to play discs from any country.

The video standard is a different story, PAL is used in europe and NTSC here in the states.

I will follow up in about an hour on how the player plays PAL discs on an NTSC display, but perhaps you should check out www.videohelp.com for some information on the different standards.

6. snapok

snapok Guest

i actually do understand the whole thing and the standards. I also know that if a dvd player have a special converted it will play any dvd on any tv. Isnt that correct? Please let me know about the quality of this dvd player when it comes to viewing pal dvds. Also, do you happen to know which is a really good dvd player that would play pal dvds of any region on a standard ntsv tv?

7. estebbins

estebbins Member

OK man, well if you understand all this you should then test with your own dvd... If not then you should have patience with people that are trying to burn a DVD to answer your selfish question for you.

8. snapok

snapok Guest

breathe

9. estebbins

estebbins Member

Hey Snapok, I'm playing that DVD right now. I do this sort of thing for a living. I'm not sure why you can't check this shit for yourself, but acting in an insulting manner makes me feel like really NOT doing this sort of favor for you in the future. If you'd like the results of my test, please ask for them in a respectful manner; otherwise I'll write you off as another disrespectful user.

10. snapok

snapok Guest

first of all i didnt even say anything insulting to you. Tell me what was so insulting that i said? Second of all if i could do it myself i wouldnt be asking people on the internet for help. The reasons i cant do it myself because A. I dont have this dvd player, B. I dont have a dvd burner. I asked you in a very respectful manner to help me, i said nothing insulting. All i said was that i do understand the whole pal/ntsc system. My original question was if this particular dvd player plays the pal system on ntsc tv. Whether to help me or not is your choice.

11. estebbins

estebbins Member

Hola Snapok:

Here is the situation the way I perceive it:

This leads me to believe that you are confused about the difference between region code and TV standard. I'm not really sure why your statement led me to believe that you are or were confused.

[bold]MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE YOU STATE THAT YOU ARE CONFUSED BY THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN MULTIREGION AND TV STANDARD. JUST A GUESS [/bold]

My response:
    [bold]That DVD is burning right now.

However, to clear up confusion, region code is completely different from video standard (i.e. NTSC/PAL/SECAM)

The player is region free, meaning you should be able to play discs from any country.

The video standard is a different story, PAL is used in europe and NTSC here in the states.

I will follow up in about an hour on how the player plays PAL discs on an NTSC display, but perhaps you should check out www.videohelp.com for some information on the different standards.

[/bold]

(here I suggested that you research the differences in video standards as anyone who is involved in this sort of thing should, and I clearly said that I would offer an answer in an hour or so)

[then you commented how you know all about the differences in video standards]

(then I commented how you should test yourself in that case, which you should as this player is only $70)

[then you commented I should breathe which may be true but is unlikely to be interpreted any other way than a crass remark when I have been trying to help you out]

Now, I have one question for you. WTF are you going to do with this unit if you don't have a DVD burner?

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Authoring DVD's is easy... When you come to the fork in the road, just make sure and take it.[/small]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  12. cpliu

cpliu Member

I just bought this very nice player a few days ago. Did some tests and one stupid thing last night.

1) DVD-R works on my player.
    2) Some xvid works, some does not. If it does not work, the TV is blue although the the timer on DVD player shows it's playing.

The stupid thing I did was to set it to progressive. Since I don't have progressive scan TV so video does not show anymore. MY TV monitor is in blue and nothing coming out it. Since I can't see anything on TV, I can't set the menu back to progressive OFF. Do you know of a way to reset the player to default? If I know the buttons to click on remote to set it to default, I may be able to do it by pressing the right ones on remote. Or, I can go to a local store with a progressive TV and reset it there.

Anyone knows a hot button or combination buttons to press to make it work again????

Thanks a lot for the help,

cpliu

13. snapok

snapok Guest

first of all i wasnt confused about the region. I was confused about why it doesnt state on the box that its multiregional dvd player when everybody says it is. Second of all you didnt just say suggest how i should test it myself. Look at the way you said it. It turns out that you are the rude one here. "... If not then you should have patience with people that are trying to burn a DVD to answer your selfish question for you." WTF was that for? I didnt say anything rude to you and thats how you responded.
    Third of all i am going to purchase some pal dvds over the internet, the ones i really want to see from the UK and Russia. But before doing so i need to find a good dvd player that would play pal on my american tv. I heard this one does, but i wasnt sure, thats why i came to this forum.

14. estebbins

estebbins Member

Well, Snapok,

I burned a freakin DVD for you last night, that is the extent that I was willing to help you out, so please don't act as if I'm not trying to assist.

I still don't think you understand the difference between region and tv standard. If you do, then please explain it to me.

And perhaps I was a bit defensive. However, if you want to know why something is or is not on the box, then you're obviously asking the wrong people.

15. Kurgan

Kurgan Guest

It's been a while since I posted on this thread, so I'm a tad fuzzy on a few things, but I'll try to answer what I do recall.

First, Snapok, in reading your posts, I do see where the confusion begins. Instead of rehashing it, just take my word for it that, although it was unintentional on your part, and just a limitation of typed word over spoken, you did mistakenly come across as a bit rude and ungrateful. Chalk it up to the aforementioned limitations of the medium, give the people trying to help you their due, and let's move on, shall we? :)

Anywho, if you'll go back and start at the beginning of this thread, the multi-region aspect is discussed in more detail. I seem to recall that the unit isn't truly multi-region out of the box, and that you need to enter in the usual code to set it up that way. Why Philips billed it as such is beyond me.

As for Pal and NTSC, the unit does play both, and there are settings you can change in the menu to allow for this so the output will fit your screen.

Lastly, be sure to update to the latest firmware. The Divx/Xvid performance is increased, and that will solved some of the problems with unplayable videos. A lot of changes have happened with the codecs lately, so I'm anticipating another firmware update soon, that is assuming Philips is on the ball. They had better be, too. One pleasant surprise you may not have know is that this unit isn't just Divx compatible, it's actually Divx Certified, so they're obligated to stay ahead of the game or be in breach of the contract. Then again, there's no motivation for them NOT to keep up to date, since that only harms sales for them, and thus is not in their best interests.

Kurgan

16. snapok

snapok Guest

estabbings, i know the difference dont worry. Pal is basically for Europe and Ntsc is for North America. EVen tho some dvd players play pal, you need a tv thats pal in order to play these dvds correctly

17. snapok

snapok Guest

Kurgan, i do not believe i was rude in any way. Instead of telling me to trust you on this why dont you just name all the rude comments that i've made so far or at least in that previous paragraph. All i said is that iknow the difference and asked the quality. Thats all i said. Dont put words in my mouth please. And Thanks for your point of view about the player

18. Thornfr

Thornfr Member

hello all,

I would like to know where I can get the update for the DVP642.

Thx in advance

19. dponce80

dponce80 Member

Guys! WTH!! Who the hell cares who said what to who in a rude way? Fer Crissakes, this is a public forum and most of us here are here to read stuff about the DVP642, not to watch a mudslinging match. You both wanna make it personal, take it somewhere else. Please.

20. estebbins

estebbins Member

Snapok,

This is really getting old. You still haven't demonstrated your knowledge of the difference between (1) region code and (2) tv standard. Make up your mind, either you know it or you need information. Allow me to take the first step and enlighten you (from www.videohelp.com, which I must point out I attempted to steer you toward earlier):

PAL
    Short for Phase Alternating Line, the dominant television standard in Europe. The United States uses a different standard, NTSC. PAL delivers 625 lines at 50 fields (half-frames interlaced) per second. The resolution of a PAL VCD is 352x288 pixels, a PAL SVCD is 480x576, and a PAL full D1 DVD is 704 or 720 x 576.

NTSC
    Abbreviation of National Television Standards Committee. The NTSC is responsible for setting television and video standards in the United States (in Europe and other parts of the world, the dominant television standards are PAL and SECAM). The NTSC standard for television defines a composite video signal with a refresh rate of 60 fields (half-frames interlaced) per second. Each frame contains 525 lines and can contain 16 million different colors. The resolution of an NTSC VCD is 352x240 pixels, an NTSC SVCD is 480x480, and an NTSC full D1 DVD is 704 or 720 x 480.

And Region Code:

Region Coding
    Region coding is how Hollywood studios stagger DVD movie releases across the planet. These codes ensure that one country doesn't get a DVD movie before the same movie is out in that country's theatres. In their corporate omniscience, movie studios have carved the planet into regions with each region having a specific code.

All DVD players and discs have region codes. A DVD player and disc must be of the same region or the disc will not play.

If you want to watch movies from other countries, you need a multiregion DVD player. This will allow you to play any disc from any region. However, because TV standards differ, you might need a specialized NTSC/SECAM/PAL TV or a DVD player that can output any signal to the standard your TV accepts.

So you see, these are actually two seperate issues.

This player will play PAL DVD's to an NTSC television. It will not play NTSC DVD's or PAL DVD's to a PAL set as far as I know.

It will also play discs from other countries, which have different region codes. This is NOT saying the same thing as PAL or NTSC above. However, as Kurgan noted, you need to enter the code with the remote before these will play back.

Now leave me alone. I hear your mom calling you.