1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ruFFritch..Thats OK for ripping,I'm looking for something to convert

2. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

"Can also convert vobsub(sub and idx) to srt text subtitles(vobsub to srt / sub to srt)." I think it will do what you want it to according to the description

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

ruFFritch..Well I'm Dumbfounded ! I can only find a way to import VOB's.There is nothing I can see that allows U to import index or subs

4. gkean

gkean Guest

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and I do apologize if this has been covered before...

Just picked up the DVP642, and I'm liking it so far, but I've noticed that it seems to be vertically stretching most of my letterboxed DivX and XviD files to nearly fullscreen proportions. I was wodering if this is a firmware issue, or an encoding issue, and what can be done in either case?

Any help would be appreciated

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

gkean..Is possible that it could be your TV,U got a W/S TV or standard.If U got W/S Pic should look OK,with a reg tv maybe a little stretched

6. zipptide

zipptide Member

sup ppl ,
    @ rick , srry dont know much about converting subs , i am sure u can find program at one of the big free software sites. Most of my stuff has the sub written on it. hel im sure theres got to somthing on softwarepedia the can do the job.

@ gkean , humm i think i had this problem with my RCA ,strecthing the picture. Also the resoulotion of the vids your playing on the 642 may affect the picture.

btw i checked out that monoprice . lol if u need 50 usb cables u can get them for under a buck o_O

7. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

zipptide..Thank anyway,I've been lookin all over,nothin to date that I've found works.Except for those that U have to re-type certain letters & phrases..Takes forever!!

8. jazz20th

jazz20th Member

hey folks, im kinda new to this and ive got a few questions. ive got the dvp642 and ive been watching burned files from xvid on there. they often times come unsynced or sometimes stop playing all together. ive tried using dvdr + & - w/ no differance in playback quality. for burning rom im using nero 7 and just going into express burn and selecting data dvd.

1 am i using the correct method for burning?
    2 are my prob;ems associated w/ using cheap media?
    3 is this normal and every one just puts up w/ it?
    4 if its not normal. can you give me a method that you use that will never make these things happen again? it's quite frustrating.

thanks so much for the help, mike.

9. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Sorry man, I have never had a reason to use this, i wish I could offer you more support... I just saw that claim that the app could do what you were asking, so I thought I'd post it for ya... I am surprised if there isn't some program that convert subs... If I see anything else, I'll let ya know! Good luck!

10. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Jazz: see my post here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/56/82733#2200623 This player is fussy, and as long as you know what to look for, you can guarantee that you won't have any sync or playback problems. Get mpeg4modifier and a good conversion progie for starters.

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

jazz20th..No this is not normal,maybe on occasion.First keep an eye out for OfficeDepot DVD RW's they go on sale a lot 7.95 for 25.First watch your burn speeds 4 or 6x.Bad media can contribute,but I've never had that problem.642 will go out of sync,try a quick RW Then hit play again,this will useualy fix the prob.I finally fix my problem permanent I bought a different Phillips.My personal opinion of the 642 is its crap in comparison to their other players..DVP5140..DVP3140..Their are even some with HDMI..I hope this helps U a little

12. jazz20th

jazz20th Member

ruffritch
    youre description of how to fix it made my head spin. LOL
    i'll read it a couple more times and see if it makes more sence to me. but if i can just fix the problem by spending another $60 on a new player i might just do that. the only quirky thing i like is my car and my wife.
    so according to rick, this will all go away w/ one of the mentioned players?

thanks again, mike

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  13. mhudson7

mhudson7 Member

The 5140 is way better than the 642. It even figures out the correct aspect ratio for my widescreen TV.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

jazz20th..There are a lot of new players [DivX] hitting Consumer stores they are getting veryvery Popular..I would check BestBuy,CircuitCity,CompUSA.Get a newer Phillips with HDMI,I think the most expensive one is like 60bucks..I prefer these stores over Wal MART due to the fact U can buy an extended warranty for about 20bucks.This way U know for a fact U will have a DVD Player for at least 3yrs 60+20 ain't bad.I kinda figure anything under a hundred bucks is a throw away.But I run the hell outta my Players 24-7 they are on.I don't even watch TV any more,I D/L & Burn..DVD's are only $.25 a piece,& the comfort of watching a Series frm ep1 thru ep22 is fantastic.Prison Break that was the only way,same with 24..Well really all Series

15. hocks

hocks Member

Okay, I'm a bit new to this, and I realize this thread is a lot more in-depth than the question I'm about to ask, but if someone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been looking for a long time for a dvd player that will play divx and/or xvid files on a cd-r. In other words, a player that doesn't need for me to transform the file to a .vob and burn it on a dvd-r, but a player that will read the divx or xvid right off a cd-r.

I went searching and found this thread and was reading a lot about these players (though I don't understand much about the hacking feature). Then, I went searching for the player and found two that are apparently slightly different. One of them is called the "Philips DVP642 DivX-Certified Progressive-Scan DVD Player;" the other is called the "Philips Dvp642 Region Code Free Divx-certified Progressive-scan Dvd Player." Does anyone know if there's a difference between these two? And will both actually play divx files off a cd-r? And finally, is there a player that will do these things that is better than the Philips Dvp642? If need be, the links to both are at the bottom of this page. Thanks a lot for all the help.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&coliid=I1NRMCG1P3UTUI&colid=HU6BYX6EJ8W4

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&coliid=I2CU5MW6PK91UL&colid=HU6BYX6EJ8W4

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  16. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Hocks,

I have been a happy owner of 642/17 for a few years. Works fine, plays almost everything (read the forum), including DivX files.

They are cheap here in Canada at WalMart ($49). A friend of mine has bought

DVP3140/37
    12-bit/108MHz video DAC
    192kHz/24 bit audio DAC
    Analog & digital audio outputs

Please see the link to see what Philips has to offer.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...?proxybuster=3LM35VNYE2B4FJ0RMRESHP3HKFSEKI5P

Comparing 642 with latest DVD-players one can see that Philips has improved on sound. I am not sure if one can hear the difference. 642 has 12/56 only. Picture quality is the same. I have done the testing.
    It also has a bit different menu on screen. However, design-wise I like 642. Another reason - it has more outputs, inluding optical out. Others have Coaxial only. I prefer optical for some reasons.

Very good one is DVP5960/37
    HDMI for simple AV connection
    Video Upscaling up to 1080i
    High definition JPEG playback

It has USB, so you can connect your external HD and play movies right from there.

Hope this helps.

Roma

17. Lenichee

Lenichee Member

I'm not having any trouble with subtitles on my avi files and if I choose something to play it's perfectly fine until I fast forward or rewind. Once I do that the sound does not match the video. Does anyone know what to do about this?

18. hocks

hocks Member

yromashin, thanks for your help. Just one question. I went to that link and looked up the different philips dvd players. the 5960 you recommended says it plays cds and cd-r, but it's only under audio files. It says that for movies, it plays: DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, (S)VCD, DivX. I realize it says DivX, but does it mean that I have to put the DivX file on a DVD+R/RW for it to work? That I can't simply put the DivX file on a CD-R and play it in the dvd player? Thanks again for your help.

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

hocks...You can put your movies on a cd ,they'll play fine.The good thing about DVD's is they are basically the same price as CD's,and U can put up to 6 Movies on 1 Disc.I like DVD'S for the TV Series as U can put 12 Episodes on 1 D,Thats a whole season on just 2 Disc's & 1DVD Case.Save a lot of storage space

20. hocks

hocks Member

rick, thanks for your help. And that's a great point about the storage space. Thanks again!