1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 problem--I hope someone can help

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by nuklehead, Aug 13, 2004.

1. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

So I had noticed that when playing a dvd-r with multiple Divx/xvid files on it, the player seemed to make a funny noise while trying to initially read the discs. But they always ended up working once they finally loaded up. And the night before last was no differant. I had a dvd-r with several movies on it, i loaded it up and watched one, then shut it off and went to bed. The next night I attempted to watch another movie on the same disc, but when I turned the player on I got a 'No Disc' message. So I tried a differant dvd-r, same result. And then I tried a retail DVD, same result. The only thing it will play are CD's. If a divx or xvid is on a cd it will play, svcd, vcd..no problem. But if its a dvd it wont read it. Also, I cant enter any codes on the main blue Philips screen. This is a real bummer, I dont understand what could have caused this..anyone have any ideas I could try before I just go buy a new one?
    Heres what I've tried so far- 1. Installing the newest firmware 2. unplugging for a period of time(all day)
    So if anyone can shed some light I would be grateful.

2. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

No comments or anything on this??

3. mysmen

mysmen Member

Looking for help with a similar problem. However, my problem is the reverse. Plays any format of DVD but nothing burned on CD's (VCD, SVCD, including commercial music CD). Played every format well for a few days and then this evening it simply would not play anything other than DVD's. Very irritating. Will be inquiring at the Phillips website.

4. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

Actually, my problem has fixed itself as mysteriously as it happened. One day it just started working again. I felt like I was going crazy, cuz it was not working, I tried about every disc I have...then I gave it some rest time and it worked again. Good luck with your problem!

5. mysmen

mysmen Member

What newest firmware did you install? My machine is the 642/37 with 0531 firmware so I believe this is the latest version. Curious as to how long it took from the time you noticed the problem to when it "self-healed". Thanks.

6. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

I have the firmware with the subtitle support upgrade.
    Not sure what the numbers are...I believe it was 4 days when it suddenly worked.
    It went like this-
    The first night and second day I repeatedly tried to get it to work. Then I said "f*ck it!" and decided to live with it. Then I didnt end up playing anything on it for 2 more days, then my wife called me at work and as she was telling me how her day was going, she mentioned she was watching Lelo & Stitch. Later that night I went to play a CD in the Philips player, when I opened the tray, Lelo & Stitch popped out. It took a minute for it to don on me, but then I remembered L&S is on a dvd-r...so I tried another dvd, it worked. And its worked fine ever since.
    So, maybe just forget about it for a few days and then come back to it.

7. JSteven75

JSteven75 Member

How did you get multiple files on one disk?

8. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

What do you mean? The divx/xvid files?
    IF so- you just burn the dvd in Data mode. The player reads the disc just like a computer would and brings up a menue with all the files you've burned on the disc.

9. JSteven75

JSteven75 Member

I tried to burn it in data mode and Nero kept giving me a burn error after between 2 and 5%. Would that be in UDF mode or ISO or UDF/ISO? Does it matter how long the file names are? All the files are in Xvid/Divx format. They play fine, just difficult to figure out how to use nero to burn them. Do I use mulitsession burning or not? Does the player bring up a menu with the different files? (Just out of curiosity.)

Thanks again for the help!

J

10. imrllybad

imrllybad Member

I've used Nero for quite some time now. I've burned many types of compilation different needs. I have 3 DVP642s and these units don't care whether I use ISO, UDF/ISO, or UDF. For ease of use, I simply use this configuration: DVD-ROM(ISO), No Multisession, ISO Level 2, ASCII character set and left Joliet and ISO restrictions unchecked. I give the disc a label and then start dragging files over to the compilation. Be sure you are firing up Nero Burning Rom (the actual program) and not Nero StartSmart or Nero Express.

I've burned 3-5 full length Divx movies on one dvd and as much as 80 smaller video clips of Divx avi, uncompressed avi, mpg1, and mpg2 all on one dvd. It plays perfectly fine. The only thing that I don't like is the truncation of the titles in the menu. You definitely have to think ahead about renaming your titles to shorter names before burning.

11. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

I use Stomp's Record Now Max 4.5, never have been a fan of Nero.