1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips stand alone format?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by DSYF3R, Nov 16, 2003.

1. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

Does anyone know what file format is used by the Philips stand alone burner? The reason is that when a neibour burns a +R disc, it is readable in my home DVD player, but when I burn a +R on my Pioneer 106 I can't read it on my standalone? same media was used both times, -R are no probs, so just wondering if anyone has or knows what file format is used.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hee Hee....

An excellent question.....one which I would want to know....

It is obvious to me that (I have a philips standalone) this recorder is VERY different compared to burning programs as I have yet to encounter a standalone that will not play a disc produced by it....

It is down to either the formatting of it OR the overheads that are written to it....but this is all I know so I shall be watching this thread with anticipation....

3. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

Can dvd's be backed up using a stand alone burner? I thought they were more like a VCR, where they just record what is on screen as uposed to copying files. But I really dont know much about them...i am curious though.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Well it depends how you look at it, the standalone 'authors' the recorded data into dvd compliant files - BUP/IFO/VOB etc....

You can backup, backup copies by having another dvd player connected to it......no macro or region etc....but obviously this is in real time and very tedious.....compared to the PC method.

The standalone does the complete job and NOT just like a vcr....
    Mine puts on a menu (crappy one, that is the background of the recorder)...

Would recommend one and chuck out the vcr.......