1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by abx, Jan 18, 2005.

1. abx

abx Guest

I have backed every one of my DVD movies with Phillips DVD+R media. I have not sat down and watched all the backups to see if there was skipping but the ones I have viewed seem to be fine. I bought the Phillips media on the recommendation of the salesman at the computer store. I recently read a few posts on the importance of good media. I have over 100 DVD's in my collection and I don't want to back them up again. A lot of people recommended Ritek, TY, or Verbatim. Is the Phillips good media? How is the longevity of this media.

2. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

You made me smile when you said:

It was on the salesmen's list !

They would have dog poop on there if they had to sell it :)

Here are 2 good sites to help you choose media:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

An other good thing, that you are already doing, is to read as much as you can in forums like here.

Take some, leave some, and you will end up with nice results...

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Philips is most likely made by CMC. I've had good with it, but it is considered fair/poor media like Memorex. You don't have to buy the best-of-the-best like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim, but any name brand media like Fuji, TDK, Sony, Maxell, and Ritek which are great bargains now will do the job and outlast your lifetime. ;)

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey abx,When you go to the store to get your next batch of media, Look for "MADE in JAPAN" on the wrapper. Japan makes the finest discs in the world. Taiwan is second,some good-some bad. Anywhere else-avoid completely.

Different lot amounts is usally different manufacturers.Look for maxell,fuji,tdk,verbatim,and sony for the made in japan. You should be ok with them.Ty's are also made in japan.

Longevity of poor media? Some members reporting discs going bad in under 6 months with the cheap crap.

What format do you burn?

In the minus format,I use maxell -4x yellowtops. In the plus format,anything made by ricohjpn01 and mcc are working great.

Poor media has to be burned slower for the stand alone players to be able to read them. Some of it is so crappy that that stand alone player will give you a no disc inserted error. Since yours is skipping, slow down that burn speed as slow as you can get it.At least that player is trying to play it so it is nothing major.

cougar gave you the link to digitalfaq, Here's a free proggy to check who made those philips: http://afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

5. abx

abx Guest

I read here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    That dvd disks don't fail over time. "DISK ROT" I think it was called. If I had a good burn with DVDShrink does that mean that the disk doesn't have any bad sectors? I don't want to back up my DVD's again so if there is no such thig as disk rot and the burn was good (no bad sectors) then I will keep the Philips backups that I have.

6. equipgod

equipgod Guest

abx, im new to this forum, not to burning backups. I got a fantastic deal on 500 Philips DVD+R's (28 cents each including shipping) and in the last 6 months I have used over 400 and am on my last can.

I have maintained a 3% percent reject rate by (1) not using labels and (2) burning at the slowest speed I can. My kids have watched these movies literally hundreds of times, they've scratched them and beat them up pretty good and they still work just fine. The only thing I may be doing differently is not burning on these disks too close to the edge.

I do main movie only backups and change the settings to 4300 instead of the default to prevent burning close to the edge of the disk.

This is what has worked for me the last couple years and I hope that this info might help you also. Once I run out, I will go hunting for more of the Philips DVD+R if I can get a similar deal.

7. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Wow. Buying 500 Philips is a huge gamble I would never be willing to take. Now Maxell for 33 cents each is an outstanding deal. Office Depot 15 pk. for 4.99.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  8. equipgod

equipgod Guest

I should have mentioned that prior to buying the 500, I had bought 100 at a time for at least a year with no problems, so no gamble on my part really.

My point was and still is, with slow burning and careful consideration of ripping software, burning to 4300 to avoid the edges, I have and still can use "cheap" media extremely successfully.

Also consider I have a 65" television with DTS sound, all of the sound is via fiber optic cables. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference between an original DVD and my backups, the difference is nominal at best.

Anyway, I just wanted to put my experience on to suggest to new users that the Philips DVD+R CAN be used as I do it all the time and have DVD's over a year and a half old now on Philips that work GREAT!

9. abx

abx Guest

How do I burn to 4300 with DVDShrink? thanks

10. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I'm assuming he sets the custom compression to 4300.

11. equipgod

equipgod Guest

Wrong forum I guess but go to "Edit" then "Preferences" inside of Shrink and under "Target DVD Size" there is a drop down menu for you to select "custom" size and just enter in 4300 instead of the default 4.7GB. Keep in mind Im only doing backups of the main movies, I dont care for the previews, commercials, menus, extras etc...

12. abx

abx Guest

thanks

13. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

My friend ABX- have'nt burned but a few Philips dvd+r disc but they came out fine ! I have burned about 100 of the philips dvd-r 8x disc at speeds of 4-8 x and they worked great! on some dvd burners they will only burn @ 4x- nec-2500A and others they'll hit full speed 8x- nec 3500 . the only coasters I ever made with them were from my mistakes- human error. I know you asked about the DVD+R though but thought you might want to know this to~ Live long and prosper ABX-Peace

14. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Since following this thread, I started using my Philips DVD+Rs and inspecting them more carefully. The Nero file and surface tests showed no errors, but I noticed that the dye around the hub was uneven and alot darker than the rest of the disc. This doesn't happen with my Ridata DVD+Rs, so it tells me these Philips might not withstand the heat of DVD players very well and after prolonged use.