1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phillips HTS3450 & Sony HT DDW790

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by james636, Apr 28, 2007.

1. james636

james636 Member

Does anyone own either of the two HTIB below

Sony HT DDW790]

Phillips HTS3450]

I listened to both systems at bestbuy and had things that I liked about both of them. I also have a couple of questions about both; I asked the rep. that was working with me, but he seemed unsure of his answers.

The Phillips_HTS3450 had outstanding sound from their satellite speakers; got very loud at mid volume range. The sub on the otherhand was very sub-par. At the mid volume range, there was a great disparity between the satellite speakers and the sub. The sub was low while the satellites were loud. This leads me to the questions of, does the 3450 have a bass control that will level out the volume with
    the other speakers? It states that the sub is "active" meaning it has a seperate amplifier (not sure), but isn't that what you want?

Now the Sony_HT_DDW790's bass is much sweeter than the Phillips 3450, but it lacks when it comes to the satellite speakers. I like the fact that the Sony_HT_DDW790 has bass and treble Control aside from the main system volume control

The one feature that I really want, but neither of the two have, well hardly any of the HTIB's have, is being able to control the volume level of each speaker channel seperately. I do have this feature in my $39.99 5.1 duraband. Go figure :rolleyes:

The rep. at bestbuy didn't crank the volume up on either of the two so I didn't get a good since of the power output. If someone can shed some light on these two I'd appreciate.

The big fight (De La Hoya vs Maywether Jr.) is coming up May 5 and I'm hosting

2. JVC

JVC Active member

3. james636

james636 Member

First off, let me say to those whom research online, read reviews, and ask opinions of others before they purchase an item: don't let that be the ultimate deciding factor in determining which product to purchase; what's small to one person may not be considered small to another person, what's loud to one person may not be considered loud to the next person, etc.

Now after narrowing my choices down to the Sony HTDDW790 and the Phillips HTS3450 I ultimately chose to go with the Phillips HTS3450. I wasn't really sold on the Phillips because after I listened to it the subwoofer was very disappointing. That all changed when I found out that all the settings were set at default; I'd think that Bestbuy would adjust the settings themselves given they don't allow access to the remotes. After the rep. that assisted me got a remote and allowed me to plat with the settings I was AMAZED!! But I didn't purchase the Phillips HTS3450 because it was a display sold as is without a remote, bummer I thought.

The rep did the same for me with the Sony HTDDW790. After playing with the remote settings, I was even more astonished; I didn't hesitate to purchase it. After hooking it up at home and really pushing it to the max I was really WOWED by the system. After reading all the negative reviews and the cons on this system, I really disagree. Some say that the bass is weak, well if you test jet engines or cannons for a living, then I see your point. I have 1200w of sound in my cherokee so I have some since of loudness, furthermore, I wouldn't enjoy 1200w of true power while I'm watching a movie in my livingroom (thats just my opinion), I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't like it very much either :)

My point is, although the opinions of others about products are great, the best opinion is your own. In the case of audio equipment, the best thing is to listen for yourself :)