1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philps dvd+r

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by maxisneil, Nov 30, 2004.

1. maxisneil

maxisneil Member

does anyone think philips dvd+r disks are close to taiyo yuden or ritek because iv been using the philips for ages now and i havn't used anything else but every ones talking bout taiyo yuden and ritek and i'm wondering if i should change?

thanks

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Don't take this personally, but what are you smoking? I want some. ;) Just kidding, but if you read the reviews, Philips is nowhere near Taiyo Yuden. It's actually at the bottom rung of the ladder (closer to Kypermedia and Princo despite the "brand name"). It's made by CMC Magnetics!!! (Code: CMC R01)
    I bought a couple of 50 packs of Philips at Circuit City last week for $10/pack, and I've only burned one DVD so far with good results. But if you read the reviews, that's the exception, not the norm, since most people can't even burn them. For 20 cents a piece, it was worth it to me. But considering you can get Riteks for a few cents more now (even Memorex with RICHOHJPN code), I'd stay away from the Philips. If you do the quality scans using Nero on your burned DVDs that will give you in-depth details, you might not be so happy. Word is, even if you successfully burn the disc, there are problems toward the end of the disc (on movies, might see skipping).

BTW, your experience with these are giving me some confidence in using them. Even at 20 cents, I was going to return them because 20 cents of garbage is still 20 cents down the drain.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Philips DVDs are made by CMC ... 4th class landfill material ...

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

The way I rank 'em

+R
    1- Maxell
    2- RICOHJPNR01 produced Ritek
    3- Taiyo Yuden
    4- Verbatim
    5- TDK

-R
    1- Taiyo Yuden
    2- Maxell
    3- ProDisc
    4- Verbatim
    5- Ritek G04

... Just my opinion and experience reflected there ... subject to debate, of course ...

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Wow, you're not really high on Verbatims are you? I was just about to go grab some 50-packs at Best Buy for $20 each since they are made by Mitsubishi Chem and are highly recommended.

5. maxisneil

maxisneil Member

cool thanks for that, when i started burning i bought a 50 pack and never really thouht bout it....well till now, but i wouldn't say there that bad like most of mine came out ok

6. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Yeah, I'm more careful with DVD media than CDR media just because there is no tolerance for badly manufacturered DVDs - i.e., you won't be able to read them on DVD players, etc. For movies, I really don't mind because DVD players will just skip over a minor error, but for my data, especially the 8,000 mp3s I have, it would be a nightmare if I couldn't rely on my backup data DVDs. I want to be 100% sure I can go back to my DVD backup 2 years from now and know it is still readable.

7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

8. maxisneil

maxisneil Member

nah thanks anyway dogbomb i think i'll stay away from philips from now on and as well i have an almost full 50 pack of them but probally won't even use them, i live in ireland right and i wanna get some taiyo yuden and can't really find any here or in the uk so if i bought from the states would they work fine since there blank and wouldn't have any region code on them, plus states is a lot chepaer

thanks

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I consider everything on both of my lists to be 'the good stuff' ...

... Right now Office Depot has 50 disc cakeboxes of Maxell manufactured 8X Maxell discs (both + and -) for $19.97 ... Good stuff, good price ...