1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

picture quality of blu-ray and my 30" WS tube tv...

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by 68b_body, Jan 27, 2007.

1. 68b_body

68b_body Guest

how will blu-ray movies look on my tv? componet hook ups and my tv plays in 540p and 1080i. will the quality still be alot better than standard dvd movies? what should i set my tv on 540p or 1080i?

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

on a 30 inch tv, i think the difference will be minimal if it's even there. i could very well be wrong, but on a screen that size i think that you'd get a better picture out of 540p than 1080i.

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I need you model number to confirm but 99% of consumer tube tvs arn't capable or displaying progressive frames. If the tv receives progressive frames they are turned into interlaced frames for display purposes. So set your blu-ray player to output 1080i.

Most HD-CRTs can only diplay 480i (~640x480 interlaced NTSC) or 1080i (1920x1080 interlaced ATSC). Most computer CRT monitors can display progressive images though.

It is true that HDTV is a big screen technology and its benefits at 30" are minimal. Also remember that higher resolution will only allow you to get closer to the tv screen, it will not make your TV picture look better (per se). The things that will make your TV look better are accurate colors (proper calibration) and an excellent source signal (analog or digital).

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2007
  4. 68b_body

68b_body Guest

its an insignia NS-30HTV. the main tv menue gives me a choice of 540p and 1080i