1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinnacle Instant Copy 7.0 vs. 8.0?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by gothor, Oct 25, 2004.

1. gothor

gothor Guest

Heya guys,

I have a choice between getting Pinnacle Instant Copy 7.0 and 8.0. I'm interested in doing full backups of DVD-9 movies onto a single DVD-5 disc (menus, extras and everything).

I know that some programs, like DVD Shrink, overhauled their compression methods and thus the latest version is superior. Is that the case with Instant Copy, or was the 7.0-8.0 jump just a "face lift"?

Thanks,

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Get the InstantCopy 8 version. I have it and it does an excellent job of compression while maintaining high video quality. It's in my top 5 apps :>)

3. euphrus

euphrus Member

What are your top 5 apps? I'd like try out some new apps - if I haven't tried them already..

Thanks

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

euphrus, These are not in any particular order,

Dvd Rebuilder and CCE Basic-best job of any app out there,period. No editing needed, but does need a burner app like Nero.

Intervideo's DvdCopy 2-fastest app and the quality is fantastic, considering it takes about 30-45 minutes, easy interface.

Pinnacle InstantCopy 8- A little slow and it's editing isn't great(I use DvdReMake for that), but quality is very good and it's easy to use.

DVd Shrink 3.2-great job with new quality settings, good editing and re-authoring capabilities, and it's FREE. Needs a burner app like Decrypter(also free) or nero, copy to dvd, etc.

Nero Recode-works much in the same way as shrink, but comes with a entire suite of audio and video applications (and overall, Nero's Ultra 6 suite is just tops-the best of it's kind,A+)

Hope this helps :>)

5. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

hey bigorange i have a problem with my instant copy. I make a backup of goodfellas and burn it, dude the compression and crap takes forever, can i make it faster. Anyways i burn the movie and when i finish i can play it on my apex mp3 mpeg dvd player, but on my standalone panasonic dvd player it loads then says stop[. This never happened with dvd shrink, they always worked with dvd shrink, but with instantcopy im getting this, Can it be some titles i remove in instantcopy thats doin this.

please help me out thanks....

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

SPIKISH,

If it's not a media/DVD player compatibility issue it very well could be IC8 if you did much editing. Have you tried using it without editing and see what the results are?

Tho I think it's quality is A-1, one of it's drawbacks is it's squirrely editing quirks. If I have to do any editing I always use another app (DvdReMake), send it's edited files to my hard drive, then use those files with IC8. Actually you can use any app with good editing features, like shrink 1st, and do the same thing.

Why I would go thru all that to use it? Mainly it's quality is excellent, it has an easy interface, also not all movies need a lot of editng and you can vary compression ratios, which it does well, and finish with a very good backup with excellent quality.

Finally, it is not the fastest app, but that has never been a concern of mine. I use RB/CCE which averages 4 hours to do a backup, LOL. When you are talking about a copy that will outlast your lifetime, what's an extra hour? Same with burning, people overclock, buy 16x burners and 12x-16x media(which costs much more) to save 5 or 10 minutes on a burn. Why? If you've read the threads you will see most everyone agrees not to burn over 4x on movies (or less) and not over 1x on games. The faster the burn, the higher the errors.

You said you use shrink, well if you use the additional high quality settings, you are talking about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to do a backup. IC 8 is faster than that.

Anyway, I hope this helps, as I stated previously, it is one of my top 5 apps, not to mention it only costs around 20-25 bucks.

BTW, welcome to AD :>)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  7. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

hey, i think it was an editing problem. But the good news is i found a great program that does the same exact stuff as ic 8 and it took me 35 minutes to do the exact thing i did in ic8 which took me like 1hr 30min. I agree with you ic8 is a very dope program, looks neat, very simple and great with quality, but my pc's pretty quick so i cant be waiting soooo damnnn long lol. anyways i knew it was a problem with ic8 (the speed and all) so i got clonedvd, excellent exccellent program, fast and simple.

But thanks for the reply hopefully i wont have anymore problems with these damn backups...

one

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Actually I have Clone DVD 2 and yes it is fast and simple, and does fine up to about 20% compression. Unfortunately it's compression rates are higher than other apps using the same movie. Don'y ask me why.

I have taken a movie that was, say for example 20% compression in shrink, and that same movie would read 30% or higher in Clone DVD. This may account for it's lesser quality at higher compressions. But at a higher compression IC8's quality is far superior to Clone DVD.

This is just my opinion, but I have done the same movie and compared at 300% magnification side by side on a 57" HDTV and the lines were much smoother in IC8.

The bottom line is what makes you happy tho, and if you've found a system that works for you, then I say stick with it. Opinions are like you know what, everybody has one :>)

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I see bigo is now an AfterDawn Addict, congratulations, you deserve the title for more than just your number of posts.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Thank you soph, much appreciated.

It's funny how you see others but not your own. zippyd informed me, until then I didn't even know.

Again, Thanx :>)