1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pio trouble

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Limavady, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Limavady

Limavady Member

hi everybody!!
    i'm having trouble getting my primary ide channels(i have 2) to both go to DMA mode..I've tried uninstalling them but no luck there..I have two DVD drive's, My master works fine(decryptin and burning speeds good), However my slave is very slow..I recently installed an LG lightscribe and set it as my master and switch the one packaged with ny pc(dell Dimension 5150) to slave..As you can tell i'm not all that good with computers so excuse the probably useless info i'm giving..Some pics might help..I've read a few threads on this already so dplease don't get angry at me for starting a new one!!

photobucket is down at the moment i'll post some pica when its up again..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks people!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. Limavady

Limavady Member

Gee thanks for all the advice guys..Real nice!!

3. blake123

blake123 Guest

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Limavady

Your mistake was changing the jumpers to master and slave on that Dell. Dell pcs like their drives be set to CABLE SELECT. The drive set on the end of cable will be master and middle onrconnected, will be slave. The JUMPERS are all set to Cable Select for Dells.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

also have some patience as we are here on our free time not paid time!!!

6. Limavady

Limavady Member

Thanks guys will try that out later, might as well wait till later to open my pc(installing some memory). didn't mean to be ignorant or rude..thanks

7. Limavady

Limavady Member

I used that and it worked a treat, one thing though..The primary that was set to UltraDMA mode 5 is now at 2..Is there much difference between the two..

8. bkf

bkf Guest

Gee Lima cut us some slack. We have lives to. Im dealing with cancer right now and I work a bunch of forums. Answers sometime take time.
    and so to speak "over the phone" it takes longer. :)

9. bkf

bkf Guest

Lima: I wish and ask you or anybody how you got those pics to show up. Would make life alot more easy if I can show people what a screen should look like. PM me if you want. Thanks Bk

10. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

That primary is your hard drive, and it should remain at Ultra DMA Mode 5, or you have a problem with the controller. Uninstall it, and reboot.

11. Limavady

Limavady Member

@bkf

Prety easy if i can do it..When you have what you want to show on your desktop press preintscreen, go into MSpaint and paste, save it..then get yourself a profile on Photobucket and upload your pick and it's pretty straight forward from there..they'll give you an img url on photobucket..

12. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

But, did you do what I suggested?

13. jloop

jloop Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its funny that this post came up because I was gonna post something like it. My problem is that no matter what I do the drive (lite-on sohw 832s) I cant get PIO mode to change. I have downloaded the file from dell to force the DMA and after I restart its the same thing. I have uninstalled and then re-installed the drive but nothing. I also have flashed the drive and again nothing. The media I am using is Sony and I always have so i'm sure its not that. I was burning a movie today and it took 45mins to an hour to burn. I have also searched the forums and tried different things but to no avail. I hope I have included enough info to have my problem resolved. Thanks

Dell 8400 Pentium 4 3.0ghz 1gb ram

14. ddp

what are the 2 rom drives jumpered as as in master & slave or cable select?

15. jloop

jloop Guest

The drives are jumpered in as master and slave. What I did was open up the pc. I basically swapped the 2 drives and their connections on the ide cables. I also set the burner to master and the other drive I left as cable select the way it was. It solved the problem of my lite-on burner moving really slow during a burn and but the DMA is still shows off on the Primary IDE channel device 1 which is where the samsung dvd player is now connected.

16. ddp

jumper both drives as cable select

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@ddp

They don't read their pc manuals or even what's been posted in this simple 1 thread post. Had jloop done so he would have already figured it out from what I told Limavady. They just jump in and hijack a thread. Thanks for pointing out his problem.

DELL=JUMPERS @ CABLE SELECT

18. jloop

jloop Guest

They don't read their pc manuals or even what's been posted in this simple 1 thread post. Had jloop done so he would have already figured it out from what I told Limavady. They just jump in and hijack a thread. Thanks for pointing out his problem.

DELL=JUMPERS @ CABLE SELECT

garmoon
    thx for telling me what I didnt do or what you may think I hadnt done. Though I did spend hours reading different forums that may have one thing I missed. Then again after trying that it didnt help either. I do appreciate you taking the time to post your condesending reply to my request for assistance. Thank you for pointing out my problem.

19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

you're welcome

20. jloop

jloop Guest