1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 104

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jonnijon, Sep 14, 2004.

1. jonnijon

jonnijon Member

Hi guys,just built a new pc and installed my pioneer 104 and now i cant enable DMA.Its enabled ok on my plex cd burner and my dvd-rom,anyone give me a clue thanks.
    System.win98se (and no problems with that)
    2.800+ amd athlon
    128 ati graphics
    512 ddr
    2x120 gig hd (DMA enabled)
    mother board Biostar M7NCD

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You have 2 HD, 1 CD and 1 DVDROM - have you a PCI controller card inserted? as you have 4 devices already?

Therefore how is your setup:
    IE - Primary - what is connected, and Secondary what is connected?

If it is on the Primary or Secondary - have you set it to Master or Slave and not the same as the other device connected to the same IDE?

Have you tried it on it's own on an IDE as master?

Have you 80 way IDE ribbon cables or 40 ways?

You may want to try and uninstall the IDE controller of the channel that it is connected to (in device manager), then reboot and let it reinstall again.

3. jonnijon

jonnijon Member

Hi Baabaa,yes i have a pci controller and every thing is set up the same as my old pc,where DMA was installed on all drives with no problems,just for some reason this new pc wont play the game.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Updated drivers for the PCI card perhaps?

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I take it by that comment you mean, it won't play ball, and the problem does not actually lie within playing games?????????

The way I see it is to eliminate external factors.

When you built the new PC, did you just connect everything up and power up, or did you install in stages?

I ask, because if you install instages, then it is sometimes alot easier to troubleshoot problems.....

As Nephilim suggested, any updated drivers available for the PCI card (what a man, moderator status has not changed him, still sharp).

Failing that I would go backwards, uninstall the PCI card, uninstall the hardware (except your HDs).
    Then put your Pioneer 104 as master(secondary), see how it sits there DMA yes/no, then add the Dvdrom to the same IDE channel and set as slave, see how it goes DMA yes/no.

If it is going well, then cdrw to the PCI card.

My friend has a plextor cdrw and he cannot have this device on a channel with another device, he had to have it on it's own channel.
    I have never come across that before, but your situation does sound a little similar.

Is your Pioneer 104 connected to the PCI card or IDE on the motherboard?

What is your PCI card and it's specifications - can it actually operate with DMA devices as DMA?, worth definatley connecting on of your known working DMA devices to it to check.

6. jonnijon

jonnijon Member

Gentelmen,thank you very much for your help.I have already done every thing suggested and still no joy,so i think there is a gremlin somewhere.I will try again when i get time.Thanks for your quick response.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Don't give up you will get there, just a matter of isolating the problem - is it the device, is it the other hardware, is it the drivers, is it your ribbon cable....................

Let us know how you get on................

8. jonnijon

jonnijon Member

Hi guy's sorry not to get back sooner,the problem turned out to be my pioneer dvd burner.For some strange reason it was burning dvd's fine no problem but was skipping files reading,so it has now gone to burn in hell lol.Thanks again for all your help.

jonnijon.