1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 105 problems continue, why?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by oldgit, Apr 1, 2003.

1. oldgit

oldgit Member

The only difference between my system and a colleague's is he has a Pioneer 104 and I have a 105. We both run XP on very similar spec. systems. Using DVD Decrypter, DVD2ONE (or the new 1.11 version) and Nero (5.5.10.15a) he gets good burns on any media (almost any) and I get a burn that seems to go okay but pixellates and skips chunks of the movie.
    I'm mostly using Datawrite Yellow x1, and did have one successful burn with them a few weeks ago, now it's all coasters. I shut down everything else (Norton etc.) for all stages. Is the 105 that fickle?

2. Rob_Cat

Rob_Cat Member

Have you upgraded your Pioneer firmware to 1.3
    DVD-R/RW Writability Improvement
    CD-R/RW Writability Improvement
    DVD Playability Improvement

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html

Also it might be your DVD Player. I burned a back-up of the Matrix yesterday and I got the same results as you describe when I played it in my stand alone DVD Player. I was going to throw the disc out when I decided to try it in my PS2 and it worked perfectly.
    Goog Luck

3. malum

malum Regular member

Datawrite Yellow are Princo, Princo are crap.
    Do his burns on Datawrite yellow work on your standalone?

Get some Ritek G03 or G04 and see if that helps. I am pretty sure that it will.
    Skipping and pixellating are sure fire signs of bad media. Some standalones are less fussy about bad media than others.

4. oldgit

oldgit Member

Thanks Rob_Cat, but I'm still a branch of Coasters R Us.

I upgraded the firmware, I've also upgraded Nero to 5.5.10.20 (this weeks upgrade I guess), but still a perfect burn until I try to play it on the TV. Incidentally, my DVD Rom won't recognise the backup either.

I agree that my DVD Player is picky, but it plays originals perfectly always. What's the point of having backups that won't play on any player. If I changed my player then all my backups become useless.

Nice idea Malum, but my colleague can get a good burn on a Digestive biscuit with his 104.

HELP!!!

I have only 3 options left, unless anyone knows better. Try it with RecordNowMax which someone was praising a few days ago before I started this thread. Take the drive out and let my colleague use it (proves the PC is the problem). And if neither of those work, report it to Pioneer as faulty.

Will do it in that order (wailing and gnashing teeth en route) unless anyone has any better ideas?

5. joblow

joblow Guest

recordnowmax=best burning software
    nero=very bad burning software

6. malum

malum Regular member

You missed the most important option.
    Try some decent Media.

Nero either makes discs that work or discs that doesn't work at all, not ones that partially work.

and you didn't answer this
    Do his burns on Datawrite yellow work on your standalone?

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I use Bulkpaq x1 (Purple) which are as cheap as chips and have no problems playing them on my stand alone player but thats only cos I bought a Sony which plays anything you sling at it.
    Most of my mates have chosen to copy myself in buying a quality DVD Player so as to be DVD-R compatible to the max. My other mates that have say... for instance a Mirror 1110 which is very fussy and have heard of pixelating & freezing be a common occurance.

I would in conclusion concur with the fact that for maximum compatibilty you need to use the best blank media.

8. herbsman

The best for price and compatibility I've had recently have been DATAWRITE CLASSIC X2 DVD-R.

9. oldgit

oldgit Member

All credit to Malum, he is wise and I am a numbnuts.
    I bought some Ritek x4 on eBay, and now I've had a good burn. The only thing that hacks me off is, why did I buy a new Pioneer 105 when the 104 is more reliable? I know it is faster than the 104, but I am now excluded from cheap media.
    For HERBSMAN, you may be right about the Datawrite x2's, some of their discs are Ritek. And as Malum said (and I gotta agree) Ritek are good and Princo are crap. Or is it the 105 that is crap, as I said before, the 104 with produce a perfect burn on a Digestive biscuit.

10. herbsman

Unfortunately that is what these big companies like Pioneer,Sony etc want.They want you to buy their discs at top dollar/pounds !

11. malum

malum Regular member

Malum The Wise, has a certain ring don't you think?

I have no experience of the 105 but I can't see any reason for it to do anything much different than the 104. If it makes you feel better my 104 won't make a working disc out of anything cheap. Maybe it's just his standalone that's is less fussy.

Also if you use better media in the first place they are more likely to work on many machines and to last longer.

12. oldgit

oldgit Member

Yep, sounds loads better than Oldgit the Numbnuts!

My standalone is very fussy, and his isn't, but I've tested some of his 104 burns on mine and they are fine.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I must stock up on Riteks.

13. herbsman

LOL......or Verbatim !

14. gazsparky

gazsparky Guest

i recently bought the pioneer 105 also bought some unbranded dvd media and they work fine in the pc but not on a standalone dvd player. also got some traxdata and datasafe media they work fine. i guess you only get what you pay for. i have backed up some of my dvd's but need a help in hand with how to backup dual layer dvd's can anyone help?

15. herbsman

[bold]DVD-9 (dual layered):[/bold]

Smartripper or DVD Decrypter (to rip & unencrypt)
    DVD2One or DVD Shrink (to compress to 4.36Gb)
    Nero or other burning app...

16. gazsparky

gazsparky Guest

thanks, i have dvd decrypter, dvd2one and nero once ive ripped the dvd to my hard drive then what do i do? sorry to be a pain

17. herbsman

DVD2One DVD-R/RW 1 DISC

I am making some assumptions here:

1 You have done a bit of this before, perhaps making VCDs from SmartRipper, DVD2AVI, TMPGEnc and Nero

2 You want a single DVD (not two, like DVDxCOPY and other methods)

3 You are not in the least bit interested in menus, extras and clips of the actors messing up their lines, as well as the music videos that clutter up many modern DVDs.

4 You have (and have used before) SmartRipper

5 You have full version of DVD2ONE

6 You have Nero

I have tested this method with My DVD player in my PC (Pioneer A04), Phillips 622 and 722 and a Panasonic portable DVD. I have used DVD-RW from Pioneer and some generic (ie cheap!) DVD-RW and DVD-Rs and I have had (so far, touch wood) 100% success rates. Comments will be appreciated on this thread, but off topic will be deleted, as well as (as usual) any requests for where to get this software for free.

Here we go.

1 Launch SmartRipper with your movie in the drive. If the files need unlocking with a software player, do it.

2 Select files button on SmartRipper. SmartRipper will select automatically only the .vob files for the main movie. They will probably look a little like this

VTS_02_1
    VTS_02_2
    VTS_02_3

Etc. All should be 1GB except last one, which is almost always smaller. You will only need to select one more file, which will be an IFO file, which will have the same number as the VOB files that SmartRipper selected automatically. Based on the example above, this file would look like this : VTS_02_0 and be marked as IFO. Create the directory to rip the files to and click start.

When ripping is finished launch DVD2ONE. Start the program, then select the directory into which you ripped the movie. Select the destination directoy (make a new empty one, DVD2ONE will make it for you if you type the path in next to the button) and hit the next button. Only one title should show up in the next screen, select it and hit next again. Check the boxes you want for audio and subtitles and hit Start. It is advisable to not use any other software during this process.

After 15-60 minutes you will have finished the compression.

Next you need to burn the movie. Open Nero and close the wizard. If the New Compilation window has not shown up, select New from the file menu, then select DVD-VIDEO icon, third down (usually) on the left handside. Leave all other settings alone. Click new and you should see the familiar Video type DVD directories on the left and your source directories on the right. Click the Video_TS folder on the left hand side (it should be red if you did this properly) and an empty window should show up next to it. Locate your compressed folder (not the one you ripped with SmartRipper, you can delete this!) and select all the files in order (just shift mouse click top to bottom) and move them over into that empty window in the middle.

Insert blank DVD-R and click burn (8th icon from right on toolbar) and some hour or so later you will have a good quality DVD exactly the same size as your blank media, which plays automatically as soon as you put it in a standalone.

Hope this is useful

P
    (supplied by loaded:Moderator)

18. gazsparky

gazsparky Guest

thanks ill try that doesn't seem to hard. what this space just incase lol. thanks for your help ill write another lessage tomorrow

19. herbsman

OK Gaz

(try out your 1st few burns on RW media...bearing in mind that your stand alone might not be able to play DVD-RW).

Check here for compatibilty: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

20. gazsparky

gazsparky Guest

ive just backed up a dvd using dvd x copy the main movie fits on one dvd-r disc but for some reason its only playing the root menu screen and wont move on to play the movie can anyone tell me why?