1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 106

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by rlwhite, Oct 14, 2003.

1. rlwhite

rlwhite Guest

help please ---
    ive got a pioneer dvd-r 106d purchased august 2003 The problem ive got is that when burning any dvd film the writer only burns to roughly the same position on physical examination on every disk i have tried -ritek datasafe-princo and at all speeds - but mainly at 1x-ive used about 20 dvd-rs on the 106 and not got one good result.
    I had a diskdrive finally go down on me and suspected that at first.
    I also have a pioneer dvdr 105 and using exactly the same hardware-s/ware - film- ide port and all the above disks-( i have swapped them -even used 2 ext. firewire exactly the same problem occurs.
    The 106 will read all the dvd (and they are not protected) - (copy dvd from 106 as reader to 105 as writer no problem using firewire, ide, and will read the entire film -and the burnt disk plays perfectly in a stand alone m/c`s 2 pioneers and a toshiba - swap the 105 to reader and 106 as writer same film etc) and again everything appears to be ok until you try to play the film in both the stand alones or on both dvd-rs and a pioneer dvd105s on puter -and then the film locks up usually after 68 to 80 mins
    Ive even tried all of the above burning on my laptop using external firewires again 105 writer 106 reader no problem reverse them and failure even used the internal dvd as reader (samsung) to 105 -ok to 106 failure-and again exactly the same happens- the disk fully completes via the program - ive tried 2 -ulead and padus both of which work perfectly with the 105 and appears to work ok with the 106 but the burnt disk from the 106 stops playing on any of my dvd players 2 standalone pioneers and a tosh- the computer 105dvdr 106dvdr and a 105sdvd and again on examination of the burnt side of the disk it appears to stop writing (imho) in the exact same part of the disk -irrespective of which film ive burnt (and believe me after 20+ failures you get rather p--d off after testing them especially when you have to test another 20 or so because you cannot remember which writer you burnt the film with Aaargg

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Firstly you are not using good discs - the princo and even some Riteks tend to falter on the outer edge of the disc which will result in freezing. You are also better off using a DVDRom drive rather than a writer for ripping and reading discs since they are much faster anyway. You should also be using decent 4x discs to burn at 4x. What ia all this about a firewire? Are you uploading DV footage? You don't need a firewire card if you are not editing or uploading DV or video.

3. rlwhite

rlwhite Guest

i have tried using a dvdrom pioneer 105 and a samsungagain same problem burns on 105dvdr but the 106 fails on playback also both my dvdwriters are used in an external firewire case (easier for swapping between laptop and desktop and as for the disks -well as ive said on inspection the 106 is not fully writing the original disk and are nowhere near the edge

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If the 106 is still under warranty you should take it back - it's obviously faulty.

5. rlwhite

rlwhite Guest

finally solved the problem at long last the 106 was in a firewire/usb external case and it seems that the usb side of the external drive s/ware was interfering with the 1394 - a valuable lesson learnt aargh- and here is a thing Pioneer do not recommend the use of a firewire connection for any of their drives -buyer beware- even though my 105 has performed faultlessy for over 9 months and about 200 burns in a external firewire case and with both laptop and desktop
    thanks diskmania for responding to my plea