1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 107 with DVD+R 8X

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by addonics, Feb 24, 2004.

1. addonics

addonics Member

hi there, i have two pioneer 107 and a couple of different DVD+R disc. i have the Ritek and Ridata 8X disc. my problem is i can not get nero, Ulead or any other program to see it at 8X speed to burn however if i put a regular DVD-R 8X disc. it shows the 8X writing speed. i have tried the firmware 1.05,1.09 and 1.10 but problem persist. does anyone having the same problem? what brand of 8X+R are you guys using that works?

2. addonics

addonics Member

PLEASE HELP ME OUT>>>>>

3. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

have you tried the hacked firmware ?

4. addonics

addonics Member

i have used Nero but it only shows 4X maximum writing speed on a DVD+R disc.

if i put a DVD-R 8X it is ok.

5. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

I have 2 of these drives also. Had some weird problems till I installed the flashman hack. can burn 4x media up to 8x + or - . 6x seams more realiable to me for movie quality. Also I am using ritek/ridata g04 media. 8x + or - media is reconigized and burns correct speed also. What version Nero are you using. If you dont want to try the first you could try uninstalling and reinstall nero.

6. addonics

addonics Member

i have tried it on 3 different machines already (fresh install) with nero 6.30.3 or whatever is the latest on their website. i have tried 2 other programs and all doing the same thing. i flashed the drive to the 1.05cracked version and was able to burn 8X-R disc at 8X speed. however i need the DVD+R 8X disc to work..i am getting a verbatim brand and see if that makes any difference.

7. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

Very strange can you let me know if the verbatim brand makes a difference. I dont have any 8x + Ritek to check with right now.

8. addonics

addonics Member

just to let you guys know that i was able to burn 8X speed on a DVD-R 1Xmedia.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, generally that is most definitely not recommended. The hacked firmware will allow you to burn virtually anything at 8x, but going to an older 1x media cannot be stable.

Also, on the DVD+R 8x disc, I have Traxdata Ritek discs sitting here to test and will get back to you tomorrow with the results.

10. addonics

addonics Member

just received the Verbatim DAta Plus DVD+R disc 8X and nero shows the writing speed to 8X now. i guess the problem is with the Ridata AND Ritek 8X Disc.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im using both the RiDATA and Traxdata 8x DVD+R discs at the moment with Nero with no problems.

12. rogue248

rogue248 Member

Hey all,

I have been reading your troubles and am in the same boat. I just bought a pioneer 107d and have been using nero 6303. I finally got my Ritek/Ridata 8X +R's and cannot get the darn things to burn at 8x. First I tried the nero toolkit -> nero drive speeds, which seem to only deal with read speeds. I also have tried both nero-express and the burning burning rom which default to 4x with no option for 8x burning. I had been told by supermediastore that the discs start at 4x and increase to 8x later during the burn process, but watched (like a hawk) and never saw an increase.

I'm worried about doing a flash since I have some 4x discs left over and don't want to ruin them. Is there some other set up I have not done and should do? Also... I have an older A03 as my reading drive (on different IDE's) but I don't think that it could be the issue.

Thanks.

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What version of the firmware are you using?

14. rogue248

rogue248 Member

Well I bit the bullet and flashed my drive to version 1.10. I am now able to select 8X burning but when I tried the disc could only do 4X. I also found out that I have Ritek R03 discs and stumbled upon this link http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/67510. I guess it's time to shout at supermediastore for selling 4X's at a 8X price.

Also, I can't find any info when it comes to specific types of ritek. The company profile (http://www.ritek.com.tw) only shows info on dvd+r/-r etc. but nothing on a particular type. Nor does the seller.

I like the fact that Ritek works so well, but if I have to switch to another which would be just as good for stand alone players?

Thanks

15. stamnes

stamnes Guest

well at lunch I couldn't find any 8x blanks so I decided to get some 4x +r discs and using DVDDecrypter 3.1.9 it wont burn the +r's faster than 1.5x either. I have the hacked firmware on it also. I also set the burn speed in DVD Decrypter to 4x. Any ideas guys?

16. addonics

addonics Member

it appears that there are compatibility with the Ritek brand DVD+R disc. i had Ritek disc from 3 different stores and they all can't burn more than 4X until i bought the more expensive verbatim dvd+r disc. dvd-R disc seems to be a better choice.

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Rogue, the R03 is the latest dye from Ritek and was designed to be used at 8x on the +R format. I have some in cases that i recieved from Conrexx and are offical labelled Traxdata.

However, im very dubious about these burning at 8x. Have a look at this:

Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK R03
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 405405696
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Book Type DVD+R
    Media Type DVD+R
    Media Id Code Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

As we can see from this the write descrypters are only showing 4x and 2.4x. Strange... I'll get on to Ritek about this and see what they say.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]For DVD Back up info: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk
    For User Guides/Downloads: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  18. jsl

jsl Member

It's a firmware problem. The current firmware versions of the Pioneer and NEC drives only support "RITEK...R03" media at 4x and that's why you don't see any available write descriptor for 8x speed in DVDInfoPro. At best it will be fixed in coming firmware versions.
    All other 8x burners I've seen can burn these discs @8x.

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im using a more modern firmware.

20. ripkord

ripkord Member

I too have this problem with ritek dvd+r 8x (plain white disks with 8x dvd+r stamped on clear platic part in centre - purple-blue dye)
    What firmware do you use oriphus?

Is it downloadable yet ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004